Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

Cassmith - Thanks for joining this thread.  I feel like a real weirdo being the only one keeping it alive!  I'm embarrassed to post.  I haven't gone back to the gym, either, and I'm so peeved at myself for not just doing it.

I'm at+12.  Phooey.  That's only  down .2.  The problem is that I'm newly addicted to Yerba Matte which is a delicious caffiene drink from S. America, said to be better for you than Green Tee.  I drink it constantly.  I think the caffiene is affecting my body - BUT, I'm also dumping so much honey into it that that could also be the culprit.  Does anyone know if caffiene prevents weight loss?

I'm so disgusted by foods now that before I would just eat w/o a second thought.  Went out to eat yesterday for the first time in over 2 months and had this vegie burrito with steak and a corn tortilla (no flour allowed).  It was so good I almost died.  I sat eating so  slowly, just relishing the smell, site, and taste I've never appreciated food like that before.  DH was done in 1/4 of the time it took me to eat that thing.  I know if I go back for another it won't be as good as this one.  It would be like chasing the dragon - it's never as good as that first time.

I know for a fact that wheat affects my joint pain bc I also broke down and at a piece of home made zucchini bread and a few hrs later my thumbs were killing me.

Had a swallow of dairy, too, accidentally.  Was cooking for the fam, and was thirsty, had the milk carton in hand ,and took a swig.....Dang - I have to start my clean date for dairy over again. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 41 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

I'm at+12.  Phooey.  That's only  down .2.  The problem is that I'm newly addicted to Yerba Matte which is a delicious caffeine drink from S. America, said to be better for you than Green Tee.  I drink it constantly.  I think the caffeine is affecting my body - BUT, I'm also dumping so much honey into it that that could also be the culprit.  Does anyone know if caffeine prevents weight loss?

I'm so disgusted by foods now that before I would just eat w/o a second thought.  Went out to eat yesterday for the first time in over 2 months and had this vegie burrito with steak and a corn tortilla (no flour allowed).  It was so good I almost died.  I sat eating so  slowly, just relishing the smell, site, and taste I've never appreciated food like that before.  DH was done in 1/4 of the time it took me to eat that thing.  I know if I go back for another it won't be as good as this one.  It would be like chasing the dragon - it's never as good as that first time.

Caffeine does not prevent weight loss, studies show that it supports it, but the effects are minimal.  It's the same concept as spicy foods, the overall effects are minimal.  Of course, if you pour yourself a cup of "black" coffee and pour half of it out in favor of creamer and add 30 spoons of sugar, it not only negates the effects the caffeine had in the first place, you're definitely drinking more calories than one should drink in a cup of coffee.  A wise man once said to me: "never drink your calories: drink tea and coffee straight, avoid sodas including diet ones (I don't always follow this when I need a quick boost of energy), and for the love of all that is good never drink juice".

And as for chasing the dragon, I know exactly what you mean!!! When you are deprived of something for a long time and you crave it, nothing beats that first bite or even meal.  If you try again, for some reason it doesn't have the same high as the first time you ate it after a long period of going without that particular food or dish.  I use a calorie counting program that also helps me keep track of the nutrients I am putting into my body and I was shocked at the terrible quality of food I was eating before I started logging my food in on a daily basis.  Logging in your food--even if it's in a little diary you keep in your purse--really helps keep you on track.  Kind of like keeping track of your spending so you don't overspend.  

Message 42 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your advice!!

I'm trying to go down on the honey, but it is SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Message 43 of 84
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

February 7th ish +/- I was 186.  Weighed in this morning at 168.0.  I suspect tomorrow I will be in the 167s.

What did it?  No carbs/sugars and working out 3x/wk.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 44 of 84
FrugalRican
Blogger

Diet sodas are worse than regular soda.

And regular soda is evil. So do the math.

And one cup of coffee can boost metabolism, but as Idiotsavant said, minimal effects.

Know what helps boost metabolism more? Sleep and drinking plenty of water.

I drink one cup of coffee every once in a while. I've discovered it works a lot better on nights when I have had 7 to 8 hours of rest, rather than on nights where I just had 5.

But, 99% of what I drink, is water, most of the time. It's bad enough to have to pay $3 bucks at a restaurant for something that costs them pennies, but it's also not good for you?

Pass me the water, please.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 45 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

+11

Message 46 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Okey-dokey, time to focus in and stop letting myself use craziness at work as an excuse to munch:

+27

So, in other words, two months after starting this, I've gained two pounds.  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Tongue

DD#1's wedding is right around the corner...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 47 of 84
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

no/low cards cut 5lbs off in a week for me.  I was usually fluxuating 3-4lbs a day.  Insanity!

Here's what I tried and had subsequent success with

Now I've went from 173 to 168 and I'm staying there.

Eggs (hard-boiled x4) and 3 pieces of non-sugar cured bacon for breakfast

6oz piece of chicken with sauteed mushrooms and mixed veggies for mid-day snack

Jasons Deli Chicken Club salad w/ lite ranch for lunch

Same mid-day snack for dinner

Lots of water throughout the day.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 48 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Repo-ed wrote:

no/low cards cut 5lbs off in a week for me.  I was usually fluxuating 3-4lbs a day.  Insanity!

Here's what I tried and had subsequent success with

Now I've went from 173 to 168 and I'm staying there.

Eggs (hard-boiled x4) and 3 pieces of non-sugar cured bacon for breakfast

6oz piece of chicken with sauteed mushrooms and mixed veggies for mid-day snack

Jasons Deli Chicken Club salad w/ lite ranch for lunch

Same mid-day snack for dinner

Lots of water throughout the day.

Great job!

There is nothing as effective as a low-carb diet with a decent amount of protein (so that your body doesn't have to get amino acids from your muscle tissue to stay alive.)

It's also great for men in particular, because you don't have to limit portions so drastically. If you can live without flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, and beer, aka simple carbohydrates, you're 95% along the way to making this work for you.

For those who like diet books, this is the South Beach Diet, among many others. The guy who wrote South Beach (Arthur Agatston) is a legit cardiologist, and this isn't some gimmick-of-the-month.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 49 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Stop eating dairy and processed food and you will lose 10 pounds FAST.

Message 50 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.