Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

tag
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

The Fitbit is sort of a glorified pedometer I guess.  It's a little device that you can strap onto your belt, jeans pocket etc and it measures steps, flights of stairs climbed (it has an accelerometer and altimeter inside), distance traveled, and you can also wear it on a wristband to sleep to measure how much you sleep and sleep quality.

For me it's the website that makes it worthwhile.  It lets you track your activity over time, gives you achievements for meeting certain goals (x amount of steps in a day) and overall kind of turns it into a game.  Plus if you have friends that have it you can compete with them and it's sort of fun in that way too.  Smiley Happy

Message 71 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I would like to announce that I have lost 32.2 pounds since this thread started.  All by not eating anything with gluten, and no dairy except I allow myself cheddar cheese on food sometimes.

I am 10 pounds under my goal weight because I never thought I could lose more than that.  It just keeps falling off and I don't have to try other than not eat the above.  I am not even going to the gym, but walk the dogs and stay busy.

I'm not sure what is going to happen when I decide I don't want to lose anymore.  But I'm not going back to gluten.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 72 of 84
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Bump ...

My weight has been so stable since the age of 20 that I didn't notice it went up 14 pounds during the first half of my time here at myFICO. Smiley Wink

For the second half, it remained stable at the elevated level. It made no difference that DW and I worked out at a fitness club several times a week.

After a break of doing nothing, DW took a renewed interest in the myfitnesspal app following a physical at her doctor a few months ago. We have since then had maximum results with minimal effort.

It's quite simple really. You cut out a few bottlenecks, which reduces the calorie intake drastically. Example. Sometimes when opening the package of cheese, the first slice would taste so good, I might pop down another three or four slices as long as the package was open. After a while, my metabolism had hit its boundaries, and my extra tasting here and there went beyond it. Logging positively everything in myfitnesspal eliminated the carelessness. I have lost a pound a week by doing nothing else. That's 10 pounds so far, and my pants are no longer tight. Four pounds to go, which I don't worry about.

Skimming this thread, I noticed someone mentioned myfitnesspal and that someone else pointed out the value of sleep and water. I fully agree. Drink water throughout the day and especially before meals to ease the digestion. And did you know that you burn calories twice as fast when sleeping vs sitting on the sofa watching television?

Here's something that really fascinates me. You can eat less and you can exercise more, but still you may not lose any weight. Why? Because of sugar. When you eat something sweet, your blood sugar increases and insulin is released. The body normally takes care of low blood sugar by releasing energy from stored fat, but the high level of insulin will not allow this to happen.

Furthermore, as soon as insulin drops the blood sugar level, cortisol comes in to counter that action. Cortisol makes the body churn out excess insulin and accumulate fat. It also prepares us for wakefulness and decreases the chance for preparing us for quietude, relaxation and sleep, which means that a mid-evening dessert could ruin your sleep.

Here's something else. BMR, the basal metabolic rate, tells you how many calories to maintain your weight. Compare that with your daily myfitnesspal. If the latter is 500 calories less than the former, you lose one pound per week. It worked for me, and I made almost no adjustments. The example with the four extra slices of cheese while the bag was open is a good one because I would never think of those extra slices until the bag was open and I forgot about them as soon I had closed the bag. I never really craved them, I just liked the taste for as long as the bag was open. Those five slices were 500 calories. Now I stick with the one intended slice. And I buy the low fat same taste same brand cheese, so a mere 50 calories.

A happy and healthy Friday to you all!

Message 73 of 84
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

down from 205 to 153-57.

just ran my first 1/2 marathon 3 weeks ago 1:49.3 and start training for my first full marathon in the morning.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 74 of 84
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Just ran to the fridge and got a glass of tea.  Baby steps Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 75 of 84
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Repo-ed wrote:
down from 205 to 153-57.

just ran my first 1/2 marathon 3 weeks ago 1:49.3 and start training for my first full marathon in the morning.

Awesome!

Message 76 of 84
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't posted on here, but I've lost 35 since June. Most of that was due to exercise via a trainer 3x/week and some cardio in there too. DW lost 20 via walking up to 20 miles each week. Nothing fits us anymore,

Message 77 of 84
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

I haven't posted on here, but I've lost 35 since June. Most of that was due to exercise via a trainer 3x/week and some cardio in there too. DW lost 20 via walking up to 20 miles each week. Nothing fits us anymore,

Isn't that a great feeling?  Smiley Happy

When I lost over 100 pounds, I had to completely start over with my wardrobe. . . literally EVERYTHING got replaced.  Even my shoe size dropped from a 10 1/2 to a 7 1/2.  I never would have thought my feet would get smaller, too.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 78 of 84
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@KaLin wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Isn't that a great feeling?  Smiley Happy

When I lost over 100 pounds, I had to completely start over with my wardrobe. . . literally EVERYTHING got replaced.  Even my shoe size dropped from a 10 1/2 to a 7 1/2.  I never would have thought my feet would get smaller, too.  Smiley Very Happy

Wow!

Message 79 of 84
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Wow!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 80 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.