Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

Not much going on this evening. Smiley Wink So I was thinking of environmental toxins. One word: plastic. Drinking water is wonderful, but when chemicals in plastic flow into your bottled water, it's not so clean anymore, whereas a water filter such as Brita works much better, is a lot less expensive and is a lot lighter to carry. Also, have you heard about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch featuring much plastic? Not a pleasant outlook.

Message 81 of 84
Sarah
Administrator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

@KaLin wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I haven't posted on here, but I've lost 35 since June. Most of that was due to exercise via a trainer 3x/week and some cardio in there too. DW lost 20 via walking up to 20 miles each week. Nothing fits us anymore,

Isn't that a great feeling?  Smiley Happy

When I lost over 100 pounds, I had to completely start over with my wardrobe. . . literally EVERYTHING got replaced.  Even my shoe size dropped from a 10 1/2 to a 7 1/2.  I never would have thought my feet would get smaller, too.  Smiley Very Happy

Wow, congrats to both of you! Those are some great accomplishments!

I'm starting to have the opposite problem -- some of my jackets and cardigans aren't fitting anymore because my shoulders & back are getting so defined from weightlifting Smiley Happy

Message 82 of 84
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Stop eating dairy and processed food and you will lose 10 pounds FAST.

Many are fine with low fat milk and various other dairy, but processed foods are highly addictive. "With these foods, personal will and good judgment get overridden. People want these foods, dream about these foods, crave them." Fresh food can be inexpensive, and a place such as Costco has a wonderful selection of vegetables, fruits, berries and fish. Along with brisk walks of course. Just doing the full circle in the big wholesale warehouse helps. Smiley Happy

Two pounds to go.

Message 83 of 84
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

This thread mentions the gym here and there. That's fine, but maybe a weight loss isn't in the cards doing so, because running three miles only burns the calories contained in a single candy bar. And what if at times no calories at all are burned? What if you simply get fatter and the solution lies elsewhere?

A science study has shown that female rats with their ovaries removed overeat because they get fatter, not the other way around. You can tell because the half of the rats that were put on a diet got just as fat. The lack of estrogen make the fat cells demand more calories, so the other smorgasbord half of the rats compensated by overeating for energy.

It's a popular belief that animals get ready for winter by eating extra food and storing it as body fat. But some also say that they get fat no matter what at that time of the year and that the extra eating is simply for the regular body functions such as energy just like the lab rats.

And then you have the refined sugar and the processed food that may raise your insulin to the point that the fat is stored and not burned off. It doesn't matter how much or little you exercise or what else you do.

Exercise of course is directly counter-productive for weight loss if you stop by the donut shop after going to the gym. But it does make sense that you need the energy after all that work. Why exercise won't make you thin

Exercise is an improvement to your body in many other ways, but replacing sugary drinks with water and processed junk with fresh food makes you lose weight.

One pound to go. Smiley Happy

PS: That last pound was gone by the morning before Thanksgiving.

Message 84 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.