Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Friday weigh-in: the other FICO fitness thread

@Booner72 wrote:

Stop eating dairy and processed food and you will lose 10 pounds FAST.

Very true.

Cut out milk (2% organic) about 2  months ago. I miss it, but don't miss the bloat..

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 51 of 84
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Bump...

Finally decided to shed my keg abs for a six-pack abs. I've started going back to the gym this week. Between Sunday and Friday, I went to the gym for a total of 10 times exercising over 10 hours. During that time, I cycled over 7 miles and burned over 250 calories. I also got on the treadmill for a total of 30 miles and burned over 7,500 calories. My weight didn't change, but it's only been less than a week.

Message 52 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Nice job llecs.  And thanks for bumping.  I'm to embarrassed to put my Number in each week since no on else does.

I'm at +5!  I tell you, give up the diary and the wheat.  It'll change your life!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 53 of 84
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

Nice job llecs.  And thanks for bumping.  I'm to embarrassed to put my Number in each week since no on else does.

I'm at +5!  I tell you, give up the diary and the wheat.  It'll change your life!

I'm embarrassed too. I actually gained a pound this week. Smiley Sad

Why give up dairy and wheat? The dairy thing I have no issue with...I'm lactose intolerant, though some cheeses and yogurt are ok in moderation. But the wheat should be OK so as long as it isn't enriched or processed, provided you aren't eating bread every meal.

Message 54 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I am gluten intolerant.  it gives me a bad skin condition - diagnosed with psoriosis, but I think it is becaue of the wheat.  After the psoriosis spread to my joints, and my thumbs were in constant pain and swelling, I gave up gluten.  Now my hands are fine.  (Unless I somehow get gluten I didn't know about).  All wheat is gluten, though not all gluten is wheat.

I went to a dr. and she said she could test me for celiac disease, but it is so difficult to get a positive diagnosis (lots of false negatives), and I'd have to go back on gluten for a month for the test to even show up, that I am just assuming I may have it.

Without wheat, my moods are stable, no ups and downs - mellow yellow!  I have more energy, better digestion, better skin, and no joint pain.

I know I am dairy intolerant, too, as I had a food alergy test.  When I started dropping weight like crazy, I just kept it up.  Milk has so many hormones and things not meant for humans, that it is just wrong to drink it.  The dairy industry is big money and backed by the government, thereby - that's why all the huge commercials about how good milk is for you.

I really miss pizza and blue cheese dressing.

Message 55 of 84
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good Lord, we all gained weight. Smiley Tongue

For those of us who munch due to stress, I guess it's probably not terribly smart to try to lose weight for an upcoming event. There's stress in getting ready for the event, and then there are the feelings of deprivation connected with dieting or whatever, both of which make it awfully easy to fall off the wagon. At least for me, it's probably smarter to make changes when there isn't some enormous Event looming up.

FWIW, it's only +3, but I'm pretty exasperated that after all this time, that was the result. Smiley Mad

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 56 of 84
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Recently I discovered an iPad application called My Fitness Pal that has been quite enlightening for me.  It tracks your food intake (including calories, fat, carbohydrate, protein, and sodium) and your exercise.  It's probably no different from any of the multitude of calorie/exercise programs out there, but I've enjoyed using it over the last 2 weeks.  The interface is nice.  If you choose - and I haven't - there's a social media aspect to it, where you can allow people to see your progress, invite friends to participate, seek feedback on their message board, etc.

It takes some effort, and it's not always easy to figure out just how much of each item you've consumed.  For example, if you eat a bowl of chicken fried rice from the restaurant, you'd have to guess the amount of chicken, vegetables, rice, and oil that was used to make the dish.  It's actually become kind of a game for me, and makes it fun.  But it has also caused to steer away from prepared meals from restaurants and try to eat more home-prepared meals, because I know exactly what I've put into the meals.

What this site makes "real" for me is the amount of calories in the food that I eat, and what actual serving sizes are supposed to be.  It's astonishing how many calories can be packed into some foods.  It also shows how low-yield some items are in terms of satisfying my appetite.  The other day I had a hankering for something sweet, so I ate one of those Kashi granola bars.  It was barely over an ounce in weight and did nothing to quell my hunger, but it did add 120 calories to my day.  If I had chosen an apple or even a 6 oz container of low fat yogurt, I would no longer have been hungry and would have consumer fewer calories in the process.

Message 57 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just found this thread. I too have some fitness goals over the summer. I have gained 20 pounds in the last year and let me tell you there is nothing more depressing than having to suck in that gut to button up a pair of shorts, when a couple of years ago the only way you could wear those shorts was with a belt otherwise they hang off your hips, now I am worried about breaking off the button when I relax and let the seepage spill over the top of the shorts. Smiley Indifferent

Also the last year I have been more than happy to just sit around the house and play video games or watch tv, all after working behind a computer for 8 hours so I get little exersize and it is affecting my energy level. I can sometimes get 8 or 9 hours of sleep a night. When I get up I need a cup of coffee in the morning, when I get home and get off work in the late afternoon I have another cup, then sometimes literally 30 minutes after having a cup of coffee I am asleep on the couch in front of the tv taking a little nap, then go to bed two hours later. I hate it so I need to stick myself to an excersize routine to boost my energy level.

It is one large goal of live better, made up of several smaller goals. I don't really care about my weight since I will be lifting weights heavily, and what fat weight I lose may be made up by muscle density so weight is not an accurate measurement.

Goal #1: Get my strength and fitness level back that I had in my early to mid 20's which was 4 or 5 years ago. I am going back to my old bodybuilding workout. 6 days a week with a different body area each day. Chest/back one day, shoulders/arms the next, then legs, then repeat so you are getting each group twice a week. My chest/back, and shoulders/arms days take about an hour and a half. Legs take about 45 minutes. Legs are my least favorite day. Squats, leg press, leg extension, and leg curls. When I would just start out on this program I would actually throw up after a leg workout sometime. I have spent the last two months doing light and mild workouts just to build up the fitness level necessary to attempt the bodybuilding 6 day a week one. You have to already be in great shape to attempt it.

I am at the point where I am doing it 3 days a week instead of 6. Still building up my fitness level.

Goal #2: Save money. This goes hand in hand with my fitness goals. First of all after some expensive car repairs and wanting to travel I realized if I cut back on some expenses, I can have more money to travel and more money to pay off my student loans. I can't cut back on rent and bills of course, but I do drive to work every day and also drive back home for lunch. It is a 7 minute drive, or a 15 minute walk. So I started walking to work and have been for the last month. One month ago I got a full tank of gas, it normally lasts me about 3 weeks to a month, well it has been a little over a month now and I have just under 3/4 of a tank of gas. Having to fill up once every 3 months instead of once a month is quite a money saver.

Also have been cutting down on fast food and restaurants. Used to eat out once or twice, sometimes 3 times a week. Now? In the last month and a half I have eaten out exactly once, and that was this past weekend and I decided to reward myself with a burger and fries at a local burger joint to reward myself for walking to work for a full month. Also not eating out at much is a big money saver as well. I can get 3 or 4 meals myself at the grocery store for the price of one meal eating out. Also works wonders for a weight loss program if you are not eating out multiple times a week.

Making sure I get my protein with eating lots of eggs, also make pasta with hamburger meat, and of course my protein shake.

One tip on losing weight is it is not what you eat, but when you eat. Most people have their big meal at dinner, then sit around and watch tv and go to bed. If you try to switch dinner and lunch you are burning calories though the day, then have a light meal at dinner which is ok.

I would like to lose 10 pounds this summer, although weight is not as important as getting my muscle density and fitness and most important of all energy level back so I don't crash out on the couch 30 minutes after having a cup of coffee, and not having my gut spill out over my pants and shorts is a major goal as well. Smiley Sad

Message 58 of 84
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

Thought I might as well jump in here too.. lol.. Now that I've done all I can do with my fico scores at the moment.

I am approximately 75lbs overweight. I was an obese child, think a 220 lb 14 year old. My family's eating habits are horrendous, but, I'm the only one who ended up obese, I guess that's genetic luck of the draw. My other 4 siblings who ate exactly the same and did the same activities are all within normal ranges.

I did lose the weight when I was about 17, got down to 145 lbs and had an active lifestyle, went rockclimbing, kayaked and worked as a dog food stocker in a warehouse which basically entailed lifting 40lb bags about 1200 times a night. I stayed close to that, hovering around 145-155 until I lost my job in 2008. Managed to stay around 180, but, then got pregnant, ended up on bedrest, had an emergency c-section ended up still on bedrest and then right when I was finally off bedrest my daughter ended up hospitalized for 2 weeks for a chronic kidney problem and I ended up living at the hospital and eating crappy hospital food for a couple weeks.

Basically, out of the last 2 years I've spent about 7 months on bedrest. = now I weight right around 216-220.

Unfortunately we're still renting from my parents who still eat horrendously. My mom's feelings get hurt and she makes life heck for everyone if I don't come over and eat the dinner she's made. She doesn't care about my health at all, even when I was on bedrest and on a reduced sodium diet she'd pick me up a Big Mac from Mcdonalds as a snack and then act really hurt if I didn't eat it.

Anyways, so, we're finally moving in the next couple weeks, have an apartment lined up in case our house deal falls through again. She's out of town for the next couple weeks, so, healthy eating has already started.

I'm not going to agonize about the scale for the next couple weeks. The most important thing to me is eating healthy for the next couple weeks to recover from the damage done eating my mother's cooking and then start measuring portion sizes after that. Exercise is off to a good start, lightly jogged 5 miles yesterday, not bad for my first attempt  in 3 years. My focus the next two weeks is going to be jogging 5 miles every other day, eating plenty of vegetables, quinoa, whole grain brown rice and lean proteins. I also want to fix my horrible coffee drinking habit and switch to just a couple cups of coffee instead of 10 cups a day and actually drink water instead.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 59 of 84
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Sounds like you are off to a good start Jennifer!

As for me, still +7.  And today, I hate to say, I ate one of those hostess raspberry pies and it wasn't even that good.  There were 33 grams of fat and 61 carbs.  I haven't eaten anything like that since February.  I got my new cookboo "The Healthy Glute-Free Life" by Tammy Creditoctt and have been living out of it.  No eggs or dairy in her recipes, either.  Problem is it is super expensive to stock up on the basics.  i want to get to the "baking" but for now just doing dinners.  Just made steak bites with the most delic. dipping sauce ever.

Plan on going back to the gym tomorrow.  (Though I say that all the time I mean it this time).  4:30 Spin.  I think that doing that x3 a week will shed the pesky 7 that won't go away, and eating the damn hostell didnt do me any good.  (My joints will feel it in about 2 more hours).

Also tried one of those delivery services where they deliver local and organic fruit/vegies to your door every week.  This one is about $25-30 a week w/ a 35 dollar a year co-op fee.  Got the first one w/o having to pay the fee.  Not sure if I will re-order, though it's a good price, some of the stuff I just wouldn't eat.  Spent 1/2 hour making southern style collard greens and nobody, me included, took more than one bite.

Message 60 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.