Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front-loading / high efficiency washing machines - recommendations

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Front-loading / high efficiency washing machines - recommendations

Our 20 year old water- and electricity-guzzling washer is on its last legs.  We need to buy a new washer, and soon.   I've been trying to choose among these newer high efficiency washing machines, but I find it hard to sort through all the online customer reviews to figure which are the better models.  Looking at the reviews at one consumer magazine's website, it seems like none of the washers are any good!

I think part of the problem is that a lot of these reviews are skewed toward the negative - if you have a lousy experience with a product, you might be more likely to write some negative comments.

So anyways, I'd like to solicity the community's opinion on washing machines.  Which ones work well?  Which should be avoided?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Front-loading / high efficiency washing machines - recommendations

Tid bit of info your ya:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33997384/ns/business-consumer_news/

I wonder how the combo units do (wash and dry all-in-one.)

Message 2 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the link.  I was aware of this mold problem - that seems to be a major reason why people rate their front loaders so poorly.

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

We have a Whirlpool Duet combo. Not too bad, though I'm not a fan of bending down to take out clothes. On the flip side, much shorter DW prefers it over a top loader. Per the dryer (electric), it seems not to dry all that well. It tries to shut itself off before the clothes are completely finished. I have to set it on timed dry to make sure everything is dry. I keep the lint trap clear; who knows, maybe there's a buildup of lint in the hose leading outside.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We purchased the Kenmore Elite H4 Smartwash Quietpak9 front load wash and dryer, with base (raises height and gives drawers under units).

We also purchased the 5 year extended service warranty.

Cost was about $3300 total.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome for the link.  (least I can do for all the help the forum and mods have given) Smiley Wink

I'm researching them also.  With any luck my fiancee and I will close on a house and use the credit for a new fangled quiet efficient w/d.  Our old Kenmore 80/100 from the 80's is still solid but will be donated to charity or eldest daughter. 

The new ones might need different maintainance, but it will be better than yelling "What?" over the w/d LOL.

@txjohn-  sweet combo

@ llecs- Sweet combo

Message Edited by Boggled1 on 11-20-2009 10:16 AM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I  have the same washer and dryer as Tx and I love, love, love it!! I've only had it a month, but it sure makes doing laundry so much better Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.