Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with Gov't Funded Programs

tag
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Frustrated with Gov't Funded Programs

Edit - I'm hoping this does not get flagged for "politics" because it's not about democrat or republican views...just an honest tax payer's perspective.

Thank god we have an off topic location on these forums so I can vent about my experience yesterday:

To give a little background, my husband and I have primary custody of his 16 year old son although the visitation is 50/50. 

Well, bio mom doesn't work and sits on her couch collecting a government check and decides "hey, why not apply for free lunches at school for my son?".  So, she fills out the application and only puts herself as the "parent" to their child.  Since the application only lists her, the approval is based on her income solely (which is next to 0). 

DH and I receive a letter in the mail last Thursday from the school saying "we received your application for free lunches and it's been Approved".  Scratching our heads, I force DH to call bio mom and ask what's going on.  DH asks her "so, you applied for free school lunches, does that mean you can't afford to feed our child during your parenting time?"  Her response was "nope, I can afford to feed him, but why should I pay for it when it's a program I qualify for?"

I took it upon myself yesterday to call the program director to find out what can be done...in short - NOTHING.  This is a federally funded program and they do not have the personnel to regulate it.  I expressed my frustration with the lady on the phone and she surprisingly felt the same.  In short, us taxpayers are paying for a program that is not regulated for fraud.  They don't require the applicant to show any proof of custody or income for this service.  The only "audit" they do is a 3% random audit once a year at which point they look in depth on the 3%. 

Am I the only one who is tired of our government throwing around our tax dollars to programs that aren't regulated?!!  The fact of the matter is, my step son does not need these free lunches and is ultimately eliminating a spot for a needy child. 

Whew - thanks for letting me vent.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Frustrated with Gov't Funded Programs

+1

You are not alone in feeling this way, but political correctness dictates that you should not express your feelings, because your feelings are insensitive to the needs of those who do nothing to earn a living for themselves, and live on your dime. 

Message 2 of 17
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I'm not a political person, nor do I understand the correct steps to take in order to file a complaint, but I can't be the only person who feels this way!!

With the deficit being as high as it is, wouldn't you think our government would start looking in depth at the people on these programs?  We (as a country) could put thousands of people back to work if we just hired people to audit EVERY PERSON who receives some form of government assistance. 

I understand there will always be liars and thieves, but at least we should start making it more difficult to receive this assistance.  IMO, if you legitimately qualify for some form of government assistance, you shouldn't have a problem providing all the documentation proving your disability or shortcoming.  So why is our government not demanding proof?

Ugh, I've never been the type of person with my hand out for freebies and it disgusts me to see my step son being raised half the time by a person that carries the qualities I despise.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 3 of 17
Ms-Kato
Contributor

I agree...the dirtbags ruin it for the real needy and we are stuck paying for it. Politicians

don't give a crap as long as their district is happy .

Not to mention people see nothing wrong with taking a handout when they don't need it..people are

brought up today to believe they are victims and deserved everything for free without ever breaking a sweat !

Message 4 of 17
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Exactly!!!!

Bio mom has this feeling of "entitlement" is what DH and I like to call it.  She thinks that everyone "owes" her something...and life has been so "unfair" to her.

I learned at a very young age that life is not fair; don't expect anything you don't work for legitimately; treat others how you would like to be treated.

I see this highly influenced child being raised by someone who believes everyone OWES her something and I start to see him have the same characteristics.  Quite honestly I feel like it's a lost cause at this point because so much damage has been done. 

We told him when he turned 16 that he was going to get a job and his response was "I don't want to work"...my response was "it wasn't a question, it was a statement.  It didn't require an answer."  

He said he didn't believe he needed to work because he has everything he wants.  Hmmmm, I suppose I could change that quickly.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 5 of 17
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Absolutely!

Message 6 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

The best argument I have heard against progressivism is that those college students who believe in it should not mind their course grade go from say an A to a B so someone else can go from an D to a C.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 17
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

This subject line really struck a cord with me as I have a co-worker that is totally scamming on the programs that were put in place to help those that truly need it.  My co-worker makes roughly $40k per year.  Granted, she's a single-parent (never been married) and I'm sure that is difficult, but......$40k is more than some married couples make, even when both work full time.  Anywho, she has been getting her rent subsidized by the government for at least the last 4 years (for as long as she's worked where I work, but I'm sure much longer than that).  She has a 16-year old son and her baby is about to turn 2.  After she got pregnant with the 2nd child, she decided she needed a bigger place than her 2-bedroom apartment, so she found a nice house to rent with 3-bedrooms.  Housing Authority granted her a larger subsidy for the more expensive rental.  After baby born in early 2010, she immediately got the State to pay for the daycare (roughy $1,000/month).  Then she applied for the WIC program and is getting that benefit, too.  I am snoopy and checked the WIC website and found that she does indeed make too much monthly to qualify for it. 

This Christmas, she bought her son a car for his present.  Nice.  She regularly gets her hair done, manicures, pedicures, new clothes all the time.  Of course she can spend her paychecks on this stuff since WE, THE TAXPAYERS, are paying her rent, daycare and some food costs.

It sickens me.  Most of us have to live within our means, meanwhile scum like her just get the government to pay and they think nothing of it.  No shame in her game!

It's that word the OP used...."entitlement"........it's that mindset that is destroying this country.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 8 of 17
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Crib - that is the EXACT reason I wrote this rant! My DH and I are going through a court battle with my step son's mother right now over past health insurance premiums she owes us and in her opposition, she literally wrote: I am currenty looking for part time employment as to not interfere with my benefits (medicare). Because I have cancer (actually past tense because she is in remission) my doctors strongly advised me to keep my benefits to cover my medical costs. Ok...I'm not a heartless woman, but she doesn't have cancer anymore. She told EVERYONE that the cancer is gone and she has been deemed able to work. SO, she admits in a court document that she CAN work, but chooses not to so she can continue to collect her free check every month. Seriously?!? Isn't that fraud? The best part is, she's obviously concerned about keeping coverage on HERSELF, but not her own son! She hasn't paid half of his premiums for 41 months!!! Whew, ok, I'm done for now Smiley Happy
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 9 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I still prefer the money be wasted here than abroad.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.