Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funniest Movie Scenes?

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Funniest Movie Scenes?

And from the same movie....

Gareth used to prefer funerals to weddings.  He said it was easier to get enthusiastic about a ceremony one had an outside chance of eventually being involved in.  In order to prepare this speech, I rang a few people, to get a general picture of how Gareth was regarded by those who met him.  Fat seems to have been a word people most connected with him.  Terribly rude also rang a lot of bells.  So very fat and very rude seems to have been a stranger's viewpoint.

On the other hand, some of you have been kind enough to ring me and let me know that you loved him, which I know he would have been thrilled to hear.  You remember his fabulous hospitality, his strange experimental cooking.  The recipe for "Duck à la Banana" fortunately goes with him to his grave.  Most of all, you tell me of his enormous capacity for joy.  When joyful, for highly vocal drunkenness.  

But I hope joyful is how you will remember him. Not stuck in a box in a church. Pick your favourite of his waistcoats and remember him that way. The most splendid, replete, big-hearted, weak-hearted as it turned out, and jolly bugger most of us ever met.  As for me, you may ask how I will remember him, what I thought of him.  Unfortunately there I run out of words.  Perhaps you will forgive me if I turn from my own feelings to the words of another splendid bugger: W.H. Auden.  This is actually what I want to say:

"Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let the aeroplanes circle, moaning overhead

Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'.

Put crepe bows 'round the white necks of the public doves,

Let traffic policemen wear black, cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East, and West.

]My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;

I thought that love would last forever:

I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;

For nothing now can ever come to any good."

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I keep thinking that I'm supposed to dismiss Hugh Grant as a lightweight, but that was an awfully good movie.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Pretty much the entirety of "The Commitments." The horse on the elevator? The different acts coming to try out for the band? Trying to sing "Mustang Sally" for the first time? The bar brawls? Jimmy Rabbitte arguing with his dad about Elvis? Interviewing himself in the bathtub, while the rubber duckie bobs about?

Maybe this part, when he tries to convince his fellow out-of-work Irish Catholic friends to start up an R&B/ soul band: "Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!" (Dutiful replies in thick Irish accents: "I'm black and I'm proud!")

That is HILARIOUS!! I've never heard of that movie.

If like me, you grew up on Motown and R&B, or (not like me) you were ever in a home-grown band, it's a must-see. I wish I could watch it with my mother, but it has an astonishing F-bomb count. Smiley Tongue Despite that, though, it's a very sweet and loving look at perennially un- and under-employed 20-somethings who get together to make music and have some fun. The author of the book that it was based on won the Booker Award, which I think is the British/ Irish version of the Pulitzer. (Might need MV on that one.)

The vocal talent in the film is jaw-droppingly, astonishingly good.

I used to play the soundtrack endlessly in my car, including coming back once from camping with my Brownie and Girl Scout troop. By the time we got home, the six second- and third-grade girls in my car were belting out "Take Me to the River" (the real version) and "Treat Her Right", just in time for Sunday School the next morning, no doubt. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’d like to…I’d like to say something…something I prepared. Tonight…

Hello,

How about that ride in? I guess that’s why they call it Sin City (hahaha)

You guys may not know this, but I consider myself…a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack, it grew by one. So were two…so there was two of us in the pack. I…I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later.

And 6 months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys. I thought…wait a second, could it be. And now I know for sure, I just added 2 more guys to my wolf pack. 4 of us wolves running around the desert together, in Las Vegas looking for s********* and c******. So tonight, we make a toast!

(Not really cuss words but just in case any mothers or underage people on the forum I wouldnt want to offend)

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Borat: What kind of dog is this?
Zookeeper: It's a tortoise.
Borat: Is it a cat in a hat?
Zookeeper: No... it's a tortoise in a shell.

Message 15 of 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

The author of the book that it was based on won the Booker Award, which I think is the British/ Irish version of the Pulitzer. (Might need MV on that one.)

One Booker Award is given once a year and for fiction only.  And yes, Roddy Doyle has won it, but for a different book.

The book was the first in a trilogy, and the other two have also been made into movies (The Snapper, and The Van), but neither were as good as the Committments.  And I have both CDs from the group  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 16 of 19
demi
Established Contributor

I'm old, and have lots of insurance!

Fried Green Tomatoes

Sometimes being a Bit@h is all you have to hold onto!

Delores Claiborne (not necessarily a funny movie)

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 19
Ms-Kato
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Borat: What kind of dog is this?
Zookeeper: It's a tortoise.
Borat: Is it a cat in a hat?
Zookeeper: No... it's a tortoise in a shell.

I'm Hysterical here reading this..Funny stuff and better when watching it due to the Zookeepr's facial expression ...LMAO !

Message 18 of 19
marty56
Super Contributor

Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck in the Rabbit season duck season scene.

Bo Derek in Tarzan telling Chris Lambert she's never done it before.

The colon buster scene in Van Wilder 1

I could go on and on.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.