Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny story about perceived wealth...

tag
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Funny story about perceived wealth...

So I have a friend who has pretty bad credit, and is desperate to fit in with the Vegas crowd - big parties, nice clothes, nice car, big name credit card spending - you know how it goes.

On my last trip to Vegas, I asked my bad credit friend if he wanted to go out with me for dinner. He declined, saying he had to stay home, and couldn't spend any money because he had to pay off his Amex Gold card.

Hold on, wait a minute? How does someone who has no other credit cards, and a 20% interest rate car loan get an Amex card? I've been rebuilding for three years and still don't have one! 

Well, I did a little snooping. Turns out he took the "Your Name Here" fake Amex from someone's Amex offer and stuck it in his wallet. It's not one of the paper ones, but one of the legit looking Amex Gold cards. He keeps it right at the front, so everyone can see it, but never pulls it out.

It just makes me laugh, when thinking about the things people do to pass themselves off as wealthy. 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Funny story about perceived wealth...

So to summarize, your friend got a prmotional plastic Gold Amex card that is for advertisement purposes and placed it in his wallet to pretend he has one since you can see the design of it atop when he opens his wallet and when he says I gotta pay off the Gold amex card, he in fact doesn't have one, but just lied ot you to avoid going out with you.

Message 2 of 26
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe he is embarrassed about his own situation.  Nobody really knows what goes on in the minds of others.  Maybe he just didn't have the funds to go out.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 26
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

How embarrasing, though, that any adult should feel the need to do something like that. I'll bet the only person he's fooling in the long run is himself. Pathetic.

Message 4 of 26
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

The deeper psychology is that that person feels the need to keep up with the JOneses and appearances, which eventually if followed to its logical conclusion, will not live within his means and end in financial ruin...I suspect with the party lifestyle and such he is probably in his 20's

Message 5 of 26
elim
Senior Contributor

just tell him to get a Cap1 Plat and make one of these his custom image...

he'll get a piece for sure then         :]

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

They won't accept these images most likely.

Message 7 of 26
jm1991
Regular Contributor

i pitty him. Not sure what type of people he is hanging around that he feels the need to impress by having a fake amex. alothough if he has nice clothes, a nice card and is alway out partying then i would think he has the funds to do that and he just really wants an amex lol Ive met people with bad credit that still are financially well off they just dont take credit serious or know how to handle it. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good one! Smiley Very Happy  I never thought about that!  I have that leather case for my iPhone & keep just a few of my cards in it.  But never looked at it that way!  Just easy to carry around down here when you don't want to carry a purse. 

Message 9 of 26
TitaniumCash
Regular Contributor

@elim wrote:

Holy cow, the last one is nice!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.