Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gardening

Is anyone here good at gardening?  The soil here in South Alabama is sandy.  Gonna jump on Google now.  If you know any handy tips please share.  Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gardening

Depending on what you are going to grow, you can use pots or make planting boxes.

Check out Gurney's website also. They have hanging tomato plants.

Message 2 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Try the gardenweb.com forums.  It's a little cumbersome to navigate because there are so many specialized sub-forums, but you can generally find answers to a lot of basic questions.  Users identify their locations and growing zones, so you can sometimes get pretty specific feedback for your questions.

One of the more interesting threads over there is on stump removal.  Over 80 posts, I believe.  It's amazing how much some people like blowing things up....

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know nothing about gardening so I brought pictures of my front yard to a local nursery and asked for advice. The guy was extremely knowledgable, had great ideas, great recommendations, and even noticed things that I didn't. He was even sensitive to my budget and lack of knowledge, too!

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

For sandy soil, check out composted peat moss. This is peat moss that has rotted down to a wonderful rich black mess, and it's great to get some oomph into sandy soils. You can add regular peat moss as well, but you'll probably need the composted stuff to get some good body into the soil.

Both types of peat moss will make for acidic soil, so this is great for acid-lovers like azaleas.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.