Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going back to school

tag
mipema
Contributor

Going back to school

After several years away from college (and 12 credits short of my degree) I decided to register for class this fall, and finish my degree.  I am currently working on a triple major (Liberal Arts, Computer Science, Mathematics and a 3.2 GPA), with hopes of becoming an engineer (or possibly architect) of some sort.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cantretire
Contributor

Re: Going back to school

Good for you!!!  Go get 'em!
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Go for it. I was a college drop out and need one stinkin' class to graduate with a B.A in Poli Sci. It is probably too late now. Smiley Sad

Oh well, I didn't loose anything. Got a wonderful DW out of it. Smiley Wink

Architecture is fun. I took some college classes in it and kept it as a side hobby. Wouldn't mind pursuing it as a full-time hobby one day.
Message 3 of 10
dizzier
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Go for it. I was a college drop out and need one stinkin' class to graduate with a B.A in Poli Sci. It is probably too late now. Smiley Sad
Oh well, I didn't loose anything. Got a wonderful DW out of it. Smiley Wink
Architecture is fun. I took some college classes in it and kept it as a side hobby. Wouldn't mind pursuing it as a full-time hobby one day.

before you assume it is too late check with the admission department at your former university. some of them do not have time limits.

OP: congrats! education is a beautiful thing.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 10
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@mipema wrote:
After several years away from college (and 12 credits short of my degree) I decided to register for class this fall, and finish my degree. I am currently working on a triple major (Liberal Arts, Computer Science, Mathematics and a 3.2 GPA), with hopes of becoming an engineer (or possibly architect) of some sort.

What Math do you still need to take and how long has it been since you had a Math course?
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 5 of 10
mipema
Contributor

@Math_Rocks wrote:

@mipema wrote:
After several years away from college (and 12 credits short of my degree) I decided to register for class this fall, and finish my degree. I am currently working on a triple major (Liberal Arts, Computer Science, Mathematics and a 3.2 GPA), with hopes of becoming an engineer (or possibly architect) of some sort.

What Math do you still need to take and how long has it been since you had a Math course?
Been about four years. I still need to complete Linear Algebra, and Discrete Math. I may need to test again but I will be sure to brush up beforehand, hopefully, I won't have to repeat Unified Calc I or II.
Message 6 of 10
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

That's great!  I went back to school after 10 years at home with the girls and I don't regret it for a second.  I feel so much better about myself.  Good for you!!
Message 7 of 10
mipema
Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I feel it's been something really holding me back, and since I am so close to completing it, why not now? It's never too late to learn.

By the way, I forgot to mention, my company pays tuition reimbursement - 100% on tuition and books for an 'A' or a 'B' and 50% for a 'C'. No matter, because I don't plan on less than an 'A'.
Message 8 of 10
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

@mipema wrote:

@Math_Rocks wrote:

@mipema wrote:

Been about four years. I still need to complete Linear Algebra, and Discrete Math. I may need to test again but I will be sure to brush up beforehand, hopefully, I won't have to repeat Unified Calc I or II.

I had several years out in the "real world" before I went back to school and Linear was the first thing I needed when I returned too. I absolutely loved it and feel like it was the clincher that my degree needed to be in Math. Unfortunately, there's not much prep or review you can do beforehand.

I've now taught Linear a few times, both to engineering majors and to math majors, and each group tends to have their strengths and weaknesses with the subject. I bet you'll do great (and, of course, I hope that you love it too!).

If you want some ideas for extra resources, please feel free to PM me. I'm excited for you and wish you the very best! Smiley Wink
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 9 of 10
demi
Established Contributor

My major was in the school of architecture at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.  Took the same first two years of drawing and design...its tough, but it was fun.  If I could do anything, and make a living at it, it would probably be model making, I loved making models of houses and properties.  On the other hand, I also remember the all nighters (lots), burned hands from the glue gun, and taking a friend to the emergency room when she cut herself pretty deep with an exacto knife.

Ah, good times !  It was actually a lot of hard, hard work, and a lot of fun !

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.