Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good way of keeping track of things so I don't "overspend"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good way of keeping track of things so I don't "overspend"

We have always charged our stuff on our debit card before. so we knew if we spend a bit much because it was coming out of one place, and it was immideate. Now trying to rack up points with CSP, Freedom and AMEX BCP, I have 3 places to keep track of our spending...

What I'm currently doing right now is that at the end of the day (or two days) I try to figure out what we've spent so far in those days and transfer funds to another checking account I opened. When the cards are due, it's time to pay them off otu of that account. This way I get to see if I do indeed run low on the checking account. But it's very tedious, and I'm worried I'm gonna stop watching it and put my spending and income out of sync...

Hopefully you guys understand what I mean Smiley Happy

Looking for any other suggestions to help me figure this out. I was thinking take the middle man out (the secon checking account) and just pay the cards directly as I spend money out of them. But not sure if it's a better idea to pay the statement at once, or if it's ok paying off as I go.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Good way of keeping track of things so I don't "overspend"

Try mint?
Message 2 of 5
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Pretty sure mint . com can handle all those cards.. They are the same folks who own Quicken and it's free.. It's Getting cards that can't be linked to them
Message 3 of 5
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Er Synchrony
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love MINT.COM, although I do keep an excel spreadsheet for myself as well

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.