Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got any gardening fans here? Not credit gardening...the real stuff

tag
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Got any gardening fans here? Not credit gardening...the real stuff

Today was the best day that I can remember for a long time.... 77 degrees outside.  Redid more of my landscaping, two trips to the nursery today!  decided that I will have the best house on the block this year...My new dogwood that I bought last year is going to bloom soon...planted more spring flowers.  More sienna brown mulch to make things look "clean", Installed two window boxes, finished all the edging, cleaned the windows outside.  Nice to be outside.

Gardening is definately one of my fav hobbies...the instant gratification of it all appeals to me...for a days worth of work (well, sometimes more than a day), one can drive up to their home and look at the beautiful landscaping with lots of flowers, happiness..

The outside component helps too, fresh air, shorts again and flowers....Life couldn't be better today.

Welcome Spring. I've been waiting for you.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got any gardening fans here? Not credit gardening...the real stuff

I enjoying gardening and growing vegetables and herbs. Seeing that I live in Hawaii, we have a yearlong growing season. I'm growing white ginger, orchids, anthuriums and roses. As for veggies and herbs, I'm growing tomatoes, bitter melon, squash chives, Italian parsley, Chinese parsley (cilantro) and green onions.

I have a young daughter and gardening gives us an activity  to do together. She just loves mixing the soil, lava rocks and sand, and watering the plants. Gardening is not only fun but its relaxing. The veggies I grow or buy from a farmers market are 20 times tastier than the ones at the big grocery stores. 

Message 2 of 7
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Fused, building such a memory with your daughter is uber cool. She will be able to appreciate all the aspects of gardening, all while creating a wonderful memory with you.

Nothing like our earth.Smiley Wink and all of the beauty, to be shared!

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i always find some purple fountain grass (beautiful) and container plant it.  It is a perennial in warmer states but

here in NH it is annual.  I also am in love with nasturtiums.  Lots of new pastel colors out

now but I still love the old favorites.

Probably won't put anything in until the end of the month.

i

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A years ago, DW initiated plans for us to garden, but I've found it to be the singular form of us--me--who does the gardening.

Edibles include several fruit trees (only yielded a few cherries thus far, but perhaps this is the year), tomatoes (went with the upside down tomatoe hangers, tomatoes are a real challenge in Western Washington), strawberries (grow with a vengenace), and raspberries (looks like a danged invasion). She'll also pick out something random, like onions, or brocolli.

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Gardening is my favorite outdoor hobby.   Actually, has much money as I spend on it, it really can't be called a hobby.

I have been waiting since winter started for spring to get here. 

This year I have to take a break and won't be able to do any gardeningSmiley Sad

Message 6 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Our home has been selected to be on this years garden tour...what an honor.  Since our home is only five years old...we hand dug all of the beds, and ammended all of the soil.  Since DH is a hosta enthusiast, the rear portion of the yard belongs to him....over 100 hostas surrounded by a hand laid stone wall and innerspersed with other shade loving plants. 

He built a pergola over the deck and has sweet autumn's climbing all over it.  I wish this site had a smell button, lol.  He just finished a matching arbor with General & Another Sweet Autumn, making it pretty.  We have the bird garden, the sun garden, the herb garden, the butterfly garden and the cat garden. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.