cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the discover IT card yesterday, hmm the looks of it...

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Got the discover IT card yesterday, hmm the looks of it...

@MidnightJester wrote:

And these days discover has a pretty decent respect in the credit market. Some people wish they had a discover card over some of their Visa and Mastercards. 110%.

Some people don't care.

It's all money, it all spends the same.  Those that obsess over what a card looks like and/or use it to try to impress people when picking up the tab really need to get a hobby.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 11 of 19
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I've never had a problem using my Discover card especially when buying food and stuff and have also never gotten any looks because the numbers aren't printed on the front of it.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 12 of 19
topisnear
Established Member

So i decide im going to eat subway for lunch and use my new IT card for the first time. I get there and pull it out "WE DONT TAKE DISCOVER" lol..DANGIT..ok back to the Venture for this one.

AMEX PRG NPSL charge about $2000 month, Capital one Venture $320 (for Uti) on $3500, Chase Freedom $0 on $2000,
Discover IT $0 on $2300, Wells Fargo Platinum $0 on $1600,
Capital one QuickSilver $0 on $1000, Wells LOC 0 of $5000
Scores: Purchased here on myfico
703 Experian
698Transunion
692 Equifax

Goals: 720+ all across and a AMEX PRG
Message 13 of 19
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@topisnear wrote:

So i decide im going to eat subway for lunch and use my new IT card for the first time. I get there and pull it out "WE DONT TAKE DISCOVER" lol..DANGIT..ok back to the Venture for this one.

I never really noticed what stores in my area do or don't accept discover. Since i've had the card i have yet to shop in a store that accepts it. I have a feeling that it will be an online shopping only card for me or SD. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 14 of 19
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

I suspect if you asked them to discover would probably fast ship you a new card for free
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 15 of 19
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@MidnightJester wrote:

And these days discover has a pretty decent respect in the credit market. Some people wish they had a discover card over some of their Visa and Mastercards. 110%.

Some people don't care.

It's all money, it all spends the same.  Those that obsess over what a card looks like and/or use it to try to impress people when picking up the tab really need to get a hobby.

+1 - Could not agree more !

Message 16 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@C24Webb wrote:

OP, I've noticed a few cashiers look at the card in a weird way... Just a little confused look for a second before turning it around.

I always get some sort of weird look when a cashier has to physically handle the card. Nobody has ever refused it or anything, but there's always a moment when I imagine they're thinking, "Is this real?" Maybe they're actually only thinking, "What do I do with this strange card with no numbers on it?" Then they turn it around, figure it out and say something like, "Never saw that before."

I have the garnet. It's beautiful on the front and I appreciate the contrasting orange edge that makes it easy to pick out of my wallet, but the back looks like a cheap random collection of junk.

Message 17 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@MidnightJester wrote:

Some people don't care.

+1 - Could not agree more !

I agree that people who think their cards are going to impress people are ridiculous. I know a local man who's hovering on the edge of bankruptcy, but he always has to pay the absurd annual fee for a black card just so cashiers at the grocery store will think he's hot stuff. (Actually, this being a small town, they already know he's a crank, a drunk, and a failure, so those extra hundreds he pays every year just make him look more pathetic.)

But being interested in the looks of a card isn't necessarily an OBCESSION. Sometimes it's just a mild interest, something to chat about. Some people have a strong sense of asthetics. Talking about the looks of cards isn't any big deal and isn't always about status.

Message 18 of 19
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I wasn't really talking about the asthetics of a card, I'm sure someone would enjoy a pea green colored card although I wouldn't - I was agreeing more on the "Black Card" image of false status which is really just good marketing. Think about how many threads on this site start with "I'm a 19 year old that makes $12 an hour I really want an AmEx Platinum (with its $450 a year AF)."

Based on a recent thread about someone making less than $30k a year and wanting to finance a $65k car, got me thinking on how much I've spent over my lifetime on cars - VERY well marketed means of transportation. The number came out to in excess of one million dollars !  I see a lot of conversations on myFICO forums where marketing and "brand prestige" of this or that piece of plastic is paramount in allowing you to spend YOUR money or borrow money at high interest rates, and that's what I was targeting when I said I could not agree more - not the color or design of the plastic.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.