cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for today?

tag
mymoneynow
Regular Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for today?

I wanted to wish all myFico forum members a Happy Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for my family, health, job, and the food we are all going to chow down on today!!! Also, I am thankful for finding this site and for all the knowledge I have learned-thankful for all myFico members!  

We are having a couple of new attendees at our big Thanksgiving bash today. My oldest DD (23) is bringing a new guy friend she met in grad school, (imagine how nervous he will be meeting 34 new people in her family!) lol!

Warning: This part is a tearjerker:

Also, my youngest DD (19)has brought a new friend from college home with her for the weekend. She was adopted at age 6 months and does not know anything about her biological family. This past summer, her adopted parents were both killed in an awful car accident. She lives in my DDs dorm and could not bear going back to her hometown for the holiday. She has no brothers or sisters that she knows of and her only remaining family is her adopted grandmother who has alzheimers, living in a Nursing Home about 14 hours away. She asked us last night if we would help her try to find her biological family- Of course we will-and we will start the search Thanksgiving evening. She is such a sweet young lady and our daschund had to curl up at her feet to sleep last night.(Our daschund is very picky about who she will curl up with or even who can pet her, but she took up with her immediately-not even 5 minutes after she arrived). I always heard that dogs could sense certain things.

I am most thankful today that my DD met this young lady and was thoughtful enough to invite into our home for Thanksgiving!  Now, I have to go wipe my eyes and get cooking!    

MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for today?

Happy Thanksgiving to all as well. I'm thankful for my children and grandson. May you all have a wonderful day!
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thankful for my great family, my wonderful friends and for living

in a country where we have the freedom to express ourselves as

we so choose.

And of course, I'm especially grateful and thankful for the folks in

this forum. I guess that kinda makes us one big FICO family,

doesn't it? And like most families, we have our disagreements

from time to time...but we're still family. Smiley Tongue

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! Smiley Very Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message 3 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

eta: replying to mymoneynow's original post:

Aww, that's a wonderful story. Start here:

International Soundex Reunion Registry Soundex is a mutual consent registry. Birth parents and adoptees or otherwise separated children separately register, and the volunteers there look for matches. It will get you going while you explore official channels.

I thought about doing this, especially back when I was cranking out babies. It always made me feel a bit empty to hear about how they had so-and-so's ears or mouth or whatever, and it was all from their father's side. I've sort of drifted away from it now, especially since my birth mother would now be 69.

I hope she wasn't born in Texas. Smiley Tongue Their records are really tough to crack. My birth certificate is back-dated and states that I was a live birth, single female, to my adoptive parents.

I'm thankful for family, health, employment, a roof over my head, and special friends. Smiley Happy

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-27-2008 06:30 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I hope she wasn't born in Texas. Smiley Tongue Their records are really tough to crack. My birth certificate is back-dated and states that I was a live birth, single female, to my adoptive parents.

Yeah, us Texans dont know how to read or even use computers.

I didnt think they were keeping birth records that far backSmiley Tongue

I am thankful for my family and friends and the extended MyFico forum family.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

marty56 wrote:

Yeah, us Texans dont know how to read or even use computers.

I didnt think they were keeping birth records that far backSmiley Tongue

* snorts * Yeah, I should have mentioned that my 1954 birth certificate is actually branded on cow hide.

No, it's just that Texas permanently seals (or used to permanently seal) adoption records, and they were completely unimpressed by adoptees' wishes and needs to locate birth parents.

(I also don't have a family medical history for this reason. No telling what lies in me, ticking away.)

And I'll have you know that I still snap to attention when I see the date 1836. I'm a born Texan, not a transplant, like some I could name. Smiley Wink

Sorry, everyone, back to Thanksgiving!

And btw, I should have said that I am always thankful to have been adopted by two loving people who gave me a great start on life.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Looking at the TOS, most of the things I am thankful for can't be discussed  Smiley Very Happy

But I have a family toast every year - "I am thankful for all the women in my life".

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

LOL I needed my college transcript a few years back and I waited on line and when CSR asked what year I graduated, I replied 1979.  The look of horror on her face was priceless.  I had to come back a few days latter since they needed to go through some old boxes to find it or something.

I hear you on adoption.  What a wonderfull gift to give a child.Smiley Very Happy

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Aside from being born on Thanksgiving Day, I'm thankful for family, health, and our future.

One of my favorite things to do with the kids at bedtime is to ask them to name 2 things they are thankful for. We've been doing that for a little while now and it's great to hear what impacts them the most. I drew inspiration from here.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy Thanksgiving to each and everyone of you....

It has been a great year for me and my family (and most of my friends). I am so looking forward to this afternoon when my home is filled with family and friends....

LET THE DRAMA BEGIN......................

Message Edited by cartercorp on 11-27-2008 07:33 AM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.