cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever had a DNA test done?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone ever had a DNA test done?

My mother's mother (grandmother) was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and to be admitted they had to prove from actual record books everything that happened to the family starting in the old country and then it was verified. Interesting as what my parents told me varied from what I found from the DAR. Just don't trust or I would be interested in the DNA approach.
Message 11 of 13
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

...I hope the government will get out of their way and let them report medical results for new testees again soon. Finding out my genetic advantages and disadvantages for different conditions was the best part.

The problem with these genotyping services is that the companies don't really understand what the polymorphisms (SNPs) mean by themselves or in combination; even experts have an incomplete understanding.  Even if these companies understand, it's difficult to convey accurately what increases and decreases in risk truly.  People think statistics are intuitive but they're not; just look at how many people overestimate their risk of developing cancer -- specially with breast cancer and getting preventive double mastectomies.  And even if the person understands the consequence of the mutation/polymorphism, what does he/she do about it? 

Message 12 of 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I am: Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1

Today R1b1b2a1a1 is found mostly on the fringes of the North Sea in England, Germany and the Netherlands, where it reaches levels of one-third. That distribution suggests that some of the first men to bear the haplogroup in their Y-chromosomes were residents of Doggerland, a real-life Atlantis that was swallowed up by rising seas in the millennia following the Ice Age. Doggerland was a low-lying region of forests and wetlands that must have been rich in game; today, fishing trawlers in the North Sea occasionally dredge up the bones and tusks of the mastodons that roamed there. Doggerland had its heyday between about 12,000 years ago, when the Ice Age climate began to ameliorate, and 9,000 years ago, when the meltwaters of the gradually retreating glaciers caused sea levels to rise, drowning the hunter's paradise. Doggerland's inhabitants retreated to the higher ground that is now the North Sea coast.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.