Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a favorite soup recipe?

tag
demi
Established Contributor

Re: Have a favorite soup recipe?

French Onion

Slice up a couple pounds of onions, I use a mixture or yellow and reds, leeks if they are not too expensive.  Saute in a little butter and oil and garlic (just a little) until transparent and sweet.  Add beef broth (boullion cubes will make it way too salty) and simmer for an hour or longer, hit with a splash of red wine just before serving...  Place in heatproof bowls, float a dried piece of bread or croutons, over with swiss or gruyere cheese and broil.  Actually better the next day.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@demi wrote:

French Onion

Slice up a couple pounds of onions, I use a mixture or yellow and reds, leeks if they are not too expensive.  Saute in a little butter and oil and garlic (just a little) until transparent and sweet.  Add beef broth (boullion cubes will make it way too salty) and simmer for an hour or longer, hit with a splash of red wine just before serving...  Place in heatproof bowls, float a dried piece of bread or croutons, over with swiss or gruyere cheese and broil.  Actually better the next day.

Now I'm hungry.
Message 12 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

demi wrote:

French Onion

*moans*
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 21
Scamp
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

demi wrote:

French Onion

*moans*

*drools*

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 14 of 21
demi
Established Contributor

The French Onion soup is really easy.  I am not much of a soup person, this and split pea are my favorites.   I think of soup as pretty much a cold weather thing.

To make it even easier, I keep my onions in the fridge, greatly reduces the tear factor.

Message 15 of 21
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

WoW! I love Pozole. My wife is from Mexico and while she can't cook to save her life, (sorry DW) her mother makes Pozole for special occasions. She usually uses goat as the meat of choice which is fine by me. A big bowl of Pozole with some limes and warm corn tortillas is what I call the best dinner in the world!
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 16 of 21
demi
Established Contributor

Pozole is great...

Menudo, not so great !

Message 17 of 21
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Ha! Menudo. That reminds me of the time I went to visit my wifes family in California. We are at her aunts house and it was the first time I had met any of her family. Of course being Hispanic they ask me if I was hungry. I say yes and I get a huge bowl of this soup stuff that looks like octopus legs floating in the bowl. I had no idea what it was. I didn't want to be rude but I was turning green with every bite. My wife thought it was the funniest thing she ever saw. I remind her of that to this day about what I went through to be polite in front of her family.
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lentil Soup

2 cups cooked lentils

1/4 cup chopped cooked carrots

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1 cup tomato juice

2 cups lentil juice

1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

Mix ingredients, heat to a boil, add 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, salt to taste.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are a couple of my favorites with a Southwestern / Tex-Mex flavor: 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 small pkg. corn tortillas, sliced or chopped

2 lbs. chicken breast,         "       "       "

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cans diced tomatoes

3 cans chicken broth

2 Anaheim peppers, diced

1 Pablano pepper,     "

1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Bring all ingredients to a boil.  Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes.  Serve garnished with grated cheese (Longhorn Colby, Monterrey Jack, or Pepper Jack) and tortilla chips, if desired.

Hearty Beef Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef

2 cans tomato juice

1 can diced tomatoes

1 onion, finely chopped

1 can sweet corn

1 can pinto beans

1 small can chopped green chiles

1 pkg taco seasoning

Cook ground beef and taco seasoning (according to instructions on seasoning packet).  Mix all other ingredients and simmer 30-45 minutes.  Add taco meat and enjoy!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.