Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health Insurance

tag
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

Health Insurance

I just wanted to say that you cannot understate the value of good health insurance. I didn't used to have it and I didn't worry about it, but my wife being pregnant, we've racked up ridiculous medical bills the last 6 months and I've only had to pay out like 50 bucks in that time. And then with my sprained ankle, which is covered under workmans comp but if that was coming out of my pocket, it would have been $12,000, between the drugs, the ambulance ride, the x-rays, the physical therapy, etc. I wouldn't feel like I could breathe without it anymore. So if you don't have it, that should be on your list of top priorities. I almost feel like FICO and insurance should go hand in hand. I would even venture to say that having it or not should be figured into your scores, because without it, you're always one medical emergency away from financial hardship.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Health Insurance

cadavis0609 wrote:
I just wanted to say that you cannot understate the value of good health insurance. I didn't used to have it and I didn't worry about it, but my wife being pregnant, we've racked up ridiculous medical bills the last 6 months and I've only had to pay out like 50 bucks in that time. And then with my sprained ankle, which is covered under workmans comp but if that was coming out of my pocket, it would have been $12,000, between the drugs, the ambulance ride, the x-rays, the physical therapy, etc. I wouldn't feel like I could breathe without it anymore. So if you don't have it, that should be on your list of top priorities. I almost feel like FICO and insurance should go hand in hand. I would even venture to say that having it or not should be figured into your scores, because without it, you're always one medical emergency away from financial hardship.

Ditto. DW and I have health ins. (HRA) and would be broke without it. Unfortunately, so many people don't have health insurance. And if you have the $$$ to pay the bills, then it isn't necessary, but most people don't have tens of thousands laying around.

I serve as the plan administrator for our business. Of our 40 eligible employees, only 10 have health insurance. The others think they will never need it. I keep using myself as an example. Had appendicitis and it was removed. The visit to the emergency room was $50 with the copay. The operation and recovery was over $25,000. Had we not had health insurance..........$50 for $25,000 is a bargain in my book.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I spent 7 days in the hospital last winter....it was something like 3 days in Intensive, 2 in Intermediate and 2 in regular....a $47K bill where MORE than 1/2 was "contractually obligated" and written off. I paid a $2,000 Out of Pocket Max plus a $500 Deductible for a total of $2,500 and the rest was paid by Insurance.

To buy Insurance individually and be a woman of "bearing" age will cost about $500 per month......The chances are rare that it would be needed and most likely the last thing on a persons mind..........I have gone 57 days without Insurance even though I am currently on blood thinners and have been acting as my own doctor (but I don't have $1100 for Cobra)

Any how...if it isn't offered by a job I completely understand why people don't purchase and I think it is a good guess that those offered health insurance by an employer for a cost would absolutely accept it........

Either way I am for health insurance if it is subsidized by an employer......Other than that I think a lot of us "chance it" as risky as that might be!!!!

Edited: I was a bit slow in typing and read lecs post stating 1/4 of the employees don't have health insurance where it is offered........When I was out of work for THREE weeks, I didn't have short or long term disability, I was lucky at that time since my Employer valued me as an employee and decided to pay me to work when I wasn't there.....Others aren't so lucky.

IF your employer offers Insurance and makes you pay Short Term disability BUY IT!!!! (I didn't and I work in Insurance!) So do as I say, not as I do!

Message Edited by 1111mel on 09-30-2008 11:55 PM
Message 3 of 18
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

Been there, if you're unemployed, who has 1000 bucks a month for the "what if?" I don't.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes insurance doesn't save you from bk Smiley Sad But on the flip side we would of been out 1/2 million dollars instead of 150,000.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other states should follow the Connecticut health plan. The offer health ins. to everyone at set cost. It goes by income and # of family members. If you are single & make under $15,600  you pay $97 a month.

All kids here are insured!!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cadavis0609 wrote:
Been there, if you're unemployed, who has 1000 bucks a month for the "what if?" I don't.

Or self employed. I pay about $1,000 each month for medical. Smiley Sad Totally is the pits. I'd rather be driving a brand new Corvette! Insurance doesn't always save you money but it prevents the doctors from charging you full price if in that group.

Message 7 of 18
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Other states should follow the Connecticut health plan. The offer health ins. to everyone at set cost. It goes by income and # of family members. If you are single & make under $15,600  you pay $97 a month.

This is a reasonable sounding plan. Unfortunately insurance is becoming a luxury for many people.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Im moving to Connecticut!

Message 9 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I can not complain.  I am military so my insurance is fully covered.  The treatment you get may not be as good as private facilities but I do have it.

My brother has a $2 million insurance policy. It runs $900 a month.  Almost 3/4 of it was exhausted when he had a heart transplant last year.  His wife was having to work just to keep up with the payments.

WA has basic health insurance also.  Very inexpensive also.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 10-25-2008 07:15 AM
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.