Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey, where are the chopsticks?

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Hey, where are the chopsticks?

I've noticed an odd trend in Asian restaurants... there's no chopsticks! Many places I've gone to there's a fork, knife, and spoon on the table... and nothing else! I've seen this not just in my area but also when I travel. If you want chopsticks, you have to think of it yourself and specifically ask for them. This is absurd. Has anyone else noticed this?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Hey, where are the chopsticks?

They're probably tired of the waste by people like me who can sort of fumble a shrimp or mushroom or other item of similar size with chopsticks, but eventually gives up and goes for the fork.

Maybe they need to offer a skills test to guests, and only those who pass get issued the chopsticks. Smiley Very Happy

I kind of don't like the ones you get in restaurants, anyway. Sometimes they're a bit splintery, ouch. I miss the ivory and mother-of-pearl ones I had as a teen. Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

One restaurant we go to has them available on every table, sort of like the salt & pepper or the sugar packets.  You can take them or leave them depending on your preference.

Another local restaurant you have to ask for them specifically.  I think hauling is probably right about it being an effort to cut down on the cost and wastefulness.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 3 of 6
demi
Established Contributor

I'll never forget going to a sushi place and they had the cheapos that are attached at the top, you tear apart.  One of my friends was trying to eat with them attached, kept complaining about how bad they were.  The other friends with us and I still crack up everytime we see chopsticks.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Not here in Hawaii! Chopsticks will never disappear in Hawaii, and it doesn't matter if it's Chinese (Korean and Japanese too) take-out or dine in.
Message 5 of 6
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Phoenix-rising wrote:
One restaurant we go to has them available on every table, sort of like the salt & pepper or the sugar packets. You can take them or leave them depending on your preference.
Another local restaurant you have to ask for them specifically. I think hauling is probably right about it being an effort to cut down on the cost and wastefulness.

The former I don't mind, that's the way that works best. The latter really annoys me. More than once I've started eating my meal, then I stop and say "Wait a minute, can I have some chopsticks?" It's pretty stupid, IMHO.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.