Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest Discover Credit Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Highest Discover Credit Limit

maybe his portfolio supports it. All his spend on his cards are 100ks or 50k and paid in full. Displaying highest balance and well maintained. I can see a limit given if it was like that. After 50k SL/CL, I heard utilization is not factored into score on credit report for that card. Does it still show up as a tradeline?

Message 11 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know why, the fees are outrageous!  I know.  We have the Rooms To Go acct here in FL.  When you have to change out a a/c or chiller, the price is at least 40-60k.  Could even be more.  They always pay with a cc.  You would think that they would send you a check, eh?  The fees are a lot.  We have to actually add the fees into the bill some where.  So I can just imagine a dealership saying no go for all of that unless of course, you have one of those millionaire cards.  

Message 12 of 74
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditplz wrote:
^^ agreed, I tired putting $15k down on a BMW last week with a credit card and they said no, 5,000 max.. I not only tried one dealership, I tried contacting 11 dealers and they all said no.

Interesting. It must really depend on the dealer. I put $6k down and they seemed almost happy when I asked if Amex would be ok. Last year it was a Mercedes with $10k down on Diners but I ended up returning it and fortunately getting my money back. 

Message 13 of 74
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Porsche let me and my DW put $10,000 down on a Panamera with Amex but only with the GM approval Smiley Surprised they wouldn't take a dime more. But I really do think it varies on dealer, don't think any would eat the fee on the full amount though Smiley Surprised
Message 14 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bottom line is the bottom line though, right?  I mean if the dealership figures the fees associated with how much one plans to put on the card and inflates the price of the car by that amount, the end result is the same.

Usually when talking to a salesman at a dealership during foreplay when he's taking your around shooting the breeze and feeling you out one of the questions he tries to get the answer to is how you're going to be paying... financing?  cash?  how much down?  etc.  If someone is a high roller that carries a CC with a limit in excess of the price of the car and suggests wanting to use it, what prevents the dealership from just inflating whatever price(s) they give by 5% or whatever? 

Message 15 of 74
drboxing
Established Contributor

The highest discover card limit I've seen was on these boards, it was $45k. I can't imagine having a limit that high lol.

Message 16 of 74
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

My Discover limit is $200 so you can use that as your starting data point. Smiley Very Happy

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 17 of 74
drboxing
Established Contributor

Well my Discover Card limit is only $1500

Message 18 of 74
baller4life
Super Contributor

Highest Discover limit I have seen is $62k. And that was grown over time. Not a starting limit. I will never believe in a million years that Discover gave someone $130k out the gate! I was born at night. But, it wasn't LAST night! Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 74
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

While it does sound out-of-this-world, I won't dismiss it absolutely. Starting limit? Maybe, but then again, lot of things about credit is uncertain. 

Right now I have a $40k limit with Discover, which has grown from $750 starting limit in 3 years. And I don't even earn 6 figures. 

PS. With that limit, I can put a car on the card. BTW, some dealers, especially of the online variety (beepi.com is one example) allow you to pay the full amount on card. But then again, they're mostly non-hagglers. 

Message 20 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.