Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiring Employees and Getting Their Credit Reports

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Hiring Employees and Getting Their Credit Reports

I couldn't believe it when I first saw this. Anyone have experience with this service.

You can order a credit report from them as well. I wonder who controls an authorized or fraudulent inquiry.

Detailed Nanny Background Checks to Help Keep Your Child Safe

https://www.enannysource.com/Nanny-Background-Check.aspx

It seems legit because you have to pay to register, but still, there is always the possibility of abuse.

We're being bombarded with companies accessing our reports.

6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hiring Employees and Getting Their Credit Reports

I've never used that service (yet alone heard of them), but I use a major competitor called HireRight for some of our searches. In our case, we'll hire employees who work in schools and we need to make sure they don't have a shady past. We also do some Defense contracting which requires a thorough check. We tell them up front that we'll dig into their background and tell them what we look for and that there might be an inquiry on their CR. We aren't given a copy of their CR, but our focus are past PRs, including BKs, and we look to see who sued them and who they might be suing themselves. Aside from what might be on the CR, we also verify their SSN, use E-Verify, make sure they aren't a sexual offender, not a past criminal, etc. Much of this info is public record already.

Are you opted out? In the times we weren't opted out, we had no fewer than a dozen soft inquiries each month by companies fishing for info. Many of these came through offers (or offers to apply) from First Premier, HSBC, Discover, and even Amex. We also got monthly hits from different insurance companies like Allstate. We also got various marketing letters that came as a result of our reports. There's an error in my current name for TU and it lists me as a "Sr." when I am not. I never bothered correcting it and it's easy to spot where the solicitation purchased the list from.

Message 2 of 7
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks for your reply,llecs.  Sorry if my post was misleading. I'm not in any way associated with or in need of a nannySmiley Tongue

However, the purpose of this post was to merely point out the vast number of firms that have access to the CRA's.

Purely academic.

In this instance, I'm sure this firm is reputable and provides a needed service for parents.

I'm simply amazed at   the sheer numbers of clients the CRA's have. Hundreds,or thousands of people get to see other persons

credit reports.  Personally, I think this phenomenon is ripe for fraud. Why do we need so many firms with access to CRA's?

llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@veracious wrote:

Thanks for your reply,llecs.  Sorry if my post was misleading. I'm not in any way associated with or in need of a nannySmiley Tongue

I didn't read it that way. I was relaying why I'll pull others' reports. And there are hundreds of companies out there that provide this type of service. I only experienced one service, and what's true of the parts is not true of the whole, but report information is limited. There's no way I can see our employee's accounts. And before I pull, I have to go through a slurry of FCRA regulations and compliance certifications. I'm sure it's protection on their end.

Message 4 of 7
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks,llecs.  Another concern of mine is when I change my residence.

I found that some of the national rental companies do a criminal background check as well as a credit check.

Since I may have to lease a place before a new home can be built I'll probably be asked to comply.

So, if and when that happens, I intend to look up the company doing the background check here on this site

NAPBS                       http://www.napbs.com/i4a/member_directory/feSearchForm.cfm?directory_id=12&pageid=3571&showTitle=1

I am assuming the rental company will give me the name of the background screening company, no?

Did you give your prospective employees the name of the bacground company?

Thanks, veracious

llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@veracious wrote:

Thanks,llecs.  Another concern of mine is when I change my residence.

I found that some of the national rental companies do a criminal background check as well as a credit check.

Since I may have to lease a place before a new home can be built I'll probably be asked to comply.

So, if and when that happens, I intend to look up the company doing the background check here on this site

NAPBS                       http://www.napbs.com/i4a/member_directory/feSearchForm.cfm?directory_id=12&pageid=3571&showTitle=1

I am assuming the rental company will give me the name of the background screening company, no?

Did you give your prospective employees the name of the bacground company?

Thanks, veracious

It's always a good idea to research the companies you might do business with. Slightly OT, but I'll look up the owner, pull his info from public sources (e.g. court's website, state databases, even DnB report on his/her biz), I'll look at the business itself. I'll look to see if the owner owned any other business, insurance info, etc., all before agreeing to do business with that company. With all of the scammers out there, you never can be too careful. So if you lease a new place, I'd look up the landlord and his/her history, or the leasing agency's history, their court info, insurance info, tax records, etc. The first place I ever leased was from a landlord who got in all sorts of legal trouble. Had I done my homework first, I would have avoided all of the problems that ensued. BTW, NAPBS is one of many associations out there. I'm sure there are other association databases to research.

I don't think there's a legal requirement for the leasing agency to provide the name of the database provider, but never hurts to ask. I don't see why they'd need to hide that info. We don't hide it. We clearly list it in our employee handbook and list in there what is being pulled, what we look for, and even explain why we do so if asked. Nobody has ever asked, but we only do these checks on 1 out of every 8 or so employees.

Message 6 of 7
veracious
Established Contributor

Thanks, llecs.    I'll definitely follow your suggestions.        I found out that California is the only state that grants its

citizens the right  to a copy of any criminal, terrorist, and background checks performed on their character.

There is far too many scam artists to trust just any business operator you come across. It's getting to be

a real PITA.

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.