cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Credit Cards do you bring with you at all time?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Many Credit Cards do you bring with you at all time?

I don't even have an activated debit card, they sit in their envelopes locked away...

Daily drivers are CSP, FU, Sallie Mae rewards (until March) and right now Discover.

I found the perfect slim wallet from some German company so I keep 2 cards on either side and the ID in a center pocket.

Also have a big card holder at home for all the other cards
Message 11 of 68
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

The wallet I found has 17 slots 18 if you count the clear one for my DL

So I carry 20 CC's 

Yes 2 slots are doubled up....shrugs 

It's personal preference for me; if I didn't hate the feel of bulky things in my pocket I'd probably do similarly, but it wasn't until this past week that I started actually using anything which could remotely be considered a wallet anyway.

Travel plans though it's a lot harder to deal with 20 cards that get lost instead of 3, and I'm guessing I may keep one in whatever hopefully secure location I manage to stash my passport in come to think of that.  Sigh I have so much to learn about travelling abroad.

Actually Rev I found a wallet that's tall, pocket height and slim it's more like a thin checkbook unlike a regular wallet

No lump when you sit down like a standard men's wallet 

It's a little taller than my Iphone ....I measured it just for you 3/4'' higher 

As for losing them that can happen anywhere in which case you use the expedited feature for in most cases next day service 

Now traveling aboard limit the number you take and keep one in a different location as a backup I.E  empty shoe with a pair of socks to hold in place etc etc 

Least that's what I do 

Thanks bud!  Appreciate the confirmation on that one, after I thought about it a bit did make sense to have something safe and secure elsewhere along with the passport since a photocopy of the identication page is all that's really needed while within a country, the other 52 pages don't really help haha.  Quicksilver is intended to be a backup card anyway, so might as well leave that one wherever the temporary home is.  

        
Message 12 of 68
tacpoly
Established Contributor

4 credit cards, 1 debit card, 1 atm card

Message 13 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't even have an activated debit card, they sit in their envelopes locked away...

Daily drivers are CSP, FU, Sallie Mae rewards (until March) and right now Discover.

I found the perfect slim wallet from some German company so I keep 2 cards on either side and the ID in a center pocket.

No CASH?

Message 14 of 68
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No CASH?

What's that? Smiley Wink

Unfortunately my favorite local sandwich shop and favorite local pizza place are cash only, otherwise I'd never bother keeping it around.

        
Message 15 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revelate stop in Thailand while you are traveling/working. Beautiful place and a very interesting life style. Lived there in my younger years and I paid everything with Baht (cash).
Message 16 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No CASH?

What's that? Smiley Wink

Unfortunately my favorite local sandwich shop and favorite local pizza place are cash only, otherwise I'd never bother keeping it around.

Benjamins!! lolz, I gotta have at least $20 or $40 in my pocket. You just never know.. Like what happened to me tonight.. Went to the Gas Station and guy said CC service is down.. Ended up paying cash..

Message 17 of 68
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Revelate stop in Thailand while you are traveling/working. Beautiful place and a very interesting life style. Lived there in my younger years and I paid everything with Baht (cash).

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, unless by some miracle I actually find someone who wants plan A (wife, kids) while I've got this albatross (from a dating perspective in the 40ish crowd) of being gone half the time, I'm going to aggressively pursue spending a couple days in places that are close regionally when I have downtime.

Re: the cash comment, yeah I'm well are that other countries just do things differently; I should actually look what the most effective way is to get local currency... the things I haven't thought of haha.

        
Message 18 of 68
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, unless by some miracle I actually find someone who wants plan A (wife, kids) while I've got this albatross (from a dating perspective in the 40ish crowd) of being gone half the time, I'm going to aggressively pursue spending a couple days in places that are close regionally when I have downtime.

Re: the cash comment, yeah I'm well are that other countries just do things differently; I should actually look what the most effective way is to get local currency... the things I haven't thought of haha.

I use the ATM at the airport to get local currency.  This has worked in England, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Israel, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Nicaragua.  A lot of poor countries will accept US dollars, preferably crisp new dollars (e.g. little towns in Cambodia).

My father traveled a lot for work as his company had projects all over the world.  He had a ton of miles before airline mileage programs became all the rage.  It wasn't a big deal for my mother (who had a career of her own), but then we weren't difficult children.  Your job will help you weed out the clingy, high maintenance women. 

Message 19 of 68
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@tacpoly wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!

I use the ATM at the airport to get local currency.  This has worked in England, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Israel, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Nicaragua.  A lot of poor countries will accept US dollars, preferably crisp new dollars (e.g. little towns in Cambodia).

My father traveled a lot for work as his company had projects all over the world.  He had a ton of miles before airline mileage programs became all the rage.  It wasn't a big deal for my mother (who had a career of her own), but then we weren't difficult children.  Your job will help you weed out the clingy, high maintenance women. 

One can hope but there's a vast difference in travelling when one already has the family vs. when one is hoping to establish a family when people in their 40's have deadlines (biological and social).  The albatross isn't a death sentence but it's clearly suboptimal when someone wants you here to see if it works or not rather than a half time penalty... I'm really uncertain from a relationship perspective on timelines between (modern dating) between cohabitating fully or 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.  To be fair if I meet a quality lady who's interested in me and wants full monty, I can always get another job.

Thanks for the info on the airport ATM, I assume simple American debit card which is fee favorable or were you doing cash advances off a credit card which I guess might make sense as a use case in this niche?

        
Message 20 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.