Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Do You Trust Capital One 360?

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

How Much Do You Trust Capital One 360?

The reason I ask is because I just opened the Checking and Savings account during the promo period to take advantage of the $176 bonus.

While deposting the money into the savings I noticed the Savings has a 0.75% APR! I've been keeping my Savings in my Credit Union account for over 4 years now and I'd be lucky to gain $5 in a year. I looked into Certificate accounts with my CU which I could gain roughly $400 in 3 years but I just dont like the idea not having access to my money as I would have to freeze it.

With Capital One 360 I could deposit 10k - 20k in the savings and gain $75-$150 a year and still have full access to my money at ANY TIME. I just don't know how I feel yet about transfering that much money into a company that I hardly know that well.

Do you think this is a good idea? I just hate the fact that I'm saving and its just sitting there when I could be potentially earning extra on top

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Trust Capital One 360?

@TheFate wrote:

The reason I ask is because I just opened the Checking and Savings account during the promo period to take advantage of the $176 bonus.

While deposting the money into the savings I noticed the Savings has a 0.75% APR! I've been keeping my Savings in my Credit Union account for over 4 years now and I'd be lucky to gain $5 in a year. I looked into Certificate accounts with my CU which I could gain roughly $400 in 3 years but I just dont like the idea not having access to my money as I would have to freeze it.

With Capital One 360 I could deposit 10k - 20k in the savings and gain $75-$150 a year and still have full access to my money at ANY TIME. I just don't know how I feel yet about transfering that much money into a company that I hardly know that well.

Do you think this is a good idea? I just hate the fact that I'm saving and its just sitting there when I could be potentially earning extra on top

Just curious what about cap one 360 are you afraid of. Its fdic insured so you are protected if the bank collapses , which i highly doubt it would. The amount you are putting into your savings is just an emergency fund or savings for house or car or something? If its more long term i would suggest maxing out your 401k or IRA ? 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 13
TheFate
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Just curious what about cap one 360 are you afraid of. Its fdic insured so you are protected if the bank collapses , which i highly doubt it would. The amount you are putting into your savings is just an emergency fund or savings for house or car or something? If its more long term i would suggest maxing out your 401k or IRA ? 

Well considering the fact its an online ONLY based company makes me raise questions about security.

20k is a lot of money, so I just wanted to see how others felt about them before I decided to pull the trigger. I did just get off the phone with the CSR, he told me not to worry as they have a FDIC for 250k which helped me feel more secure. 

The money is long term which I have been saving for my House. I plan on making the purchase in 3-4 years so every dollar counts that I could be earning untill that time. I don't have a 401k I have a pension (Union employee). 

Can you be more specific tho about "maxing it out"?

Message 3 of 13
nax
Regular Contributor

I've had my 360 for around a year now and love it!  I direct deposit a portion of my earnings into it and have my main checking linked for transfers too. I have used the app to deposit a few checks, it does take a week or so for that feature. The free checks are classy looking, nice paper stock. The debit card is pretty neat looking I've got a few comments about it... "Wow I've never seen a card like that" and yes those interest rates are nice! They don't have the expense of branches and tellers so they can manage the better rates. 

Message 4 of 13
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Well considering the fact its an online ONLY based company makes me raise questions about security.

20k is a lot of money, so I just wanted to see how others felt about them before I decided to pull the trigger. I did just get off the phone with the CSR, he told me not to worry as they have a FDIC for 250k which helped me feel more secure. 

The money is long term which I have been saving for my House. I plan on making the purchase in 3-4 years so every dollar counts that I could be earning untill that time. I don't have a 401k I have a pension (Union employee). 

Well their is limit of 5500 per year for IRA.if you are saving for retirement I would try to max it out every year. If you are saving up for house soon then cap one high yield savings is a pretty good idea. I personally have all my savings for short term in an ally saving account.I am happy with them for most part getting nearly 20x what I was getting from wells Fargo.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 13
TheFate
Established Contributor

@nax wrote:

I've had my 360 for around a year now and love it!  I direct deposit a portion of my earnings into it and have my main checking linked for transfers too. I have used the app to deposit a few checks, it does take a week or so for that feature. The free checks are classy looking, nice paper stock. The debit card is pretty neat looking I've got a few comments about it... "Wow I've never seen a card like that" and yes those interest rates are nice! They don't have the expense of branches and tellers so they can manage the better rates. 

Yea I noticed they offered free check books, I just haven't got around to it since majority of my bills are all paid online or thru the phone. I do agree about their card looking nice, I've had a few people ask me which credit card that was lol

Glad that you have had a good exp with them, I did decide to go ahead with the transfer so i should be roughly earning around $150 a year + the $176 I've already earned for the signup bonus which is great, only downfall is I believe you have to claim this on your tax return correct?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Well considering the fact its an online ONLY based company makes me raise questions about security."

Capital One 360 is an online-only banking service, but it's not really accurate to say Capital One is an online-only company. They have numerous physical branch locations nationwide. They even have a "Capital One 360 Cafe" here in Los Angeles: http://www.yelp.com/biz/capital-one-360-caf%C3%A9-los-angeles-2

But setting that aside - they are a major publicly traded (NYSE: COF) financial services corporation that is FDIC insured, and it's as safe to put your money with them as it is any other major bank.

Message 7 of 13
kfyoung
Established Member

Ally does have the same. Look into them too, I have been using them for awhile now and they are fantastic!

Store- Kohls$300 ,Victoria Secret-$750, Walmart-$800, maurices-$980, Best Buy-$1,000, Amazon Store-$1,700, Barclay Card Apple-$1,200, Buckle-$500, Loft-$750
Major- Chase Amazon Rewards-$1,000, Chase Slate-$500, Barclaycard-$1,750, Capital One Journey-$1,000, Discover IT (Secured)-$1,200, PayPal Extras MC-$3,000, Citi Thank You Student-$2,500
Message 8 of 13
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Well considering the fact its an online ONLY based company makes me raise questions about security."

Capital One 360 is an online-only banking service, but it's not really accurate to say Capital One is an online-only company. They have numerous physical branch locations nationwide. They even have a "Capital One 360 Cafe" here in Los Angeles: http://www.yelp.com/biz/capital-one-360-caf%C3%A9-los-angeles-2

But setting that aside - they are a major publicly traded (NYSE: COF) financial services corporation that is FDIC insured, and it's as safe to put your money with them as it is any other major bank.

Thanks I didn't know they had a cafe. I just bookmarked them on my yelp and will definitely swing by one of these days. Reviews said u get half off on all purchases including free validation if u use your 360 card

Message 9 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Well their is limit of 5500 per year for IRA.if you are saving for retirement I would try to max it out every year. If you are saving up for house soon then cap one high yield savings is a pretty good idea. I personally have all my savings for short term in an ally saving account.I am happy with them for most part getting nearly 20x what I was getting from wells Fargo.

Specifically for a Roth IRA that's the limit.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.