Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Will Your Tax Return Be

tag
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

Re: How Much Will Your Tax Return Be

I got about $2600 federal and state combined.  

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 11 of 50
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

I'm getting back $1,075, which is amazing because I only paid in about $570 to federal. I got some kind of education tax credit to help with the cost of tuition.

I think I'm going to use the money to start investing. Never too young to start right?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 12 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be getting $3245 back. It was over 4k but I had to pay taxes on self employment income.

Message 13 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

-6781 dollars. Windfall from buying a house at auction and then having someone offer to buy it out from me before I ever owned it. About 1100 back from my w-2 earnings though.

Message 14 of 50
elim
Senior Contributor

(-13k) negative also

Message 15 of 50
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Probably identically what I had witheld for the IRS this year.  Income was so low this year I think I may have fallen under the "don't have to file" line.  Will anyway since mortgage lender will complain but w/e.

Some one on this forum mentioned being homeless ... I still have that room available for a fee Smiley Wink Toss in lots of outside activities and the Superior National Forest.

Only problem is if I were homeless I probably couldn't afford the fee Smiley Happy

It's a bit of hyperbole as I'm not certain I'm ever going to be allowed to retire, but my core argument regarding fiscal defensibility is even someone in good health with minimal burn rate, well life is nothing if not unpredictable, even when it's on the boring side.

I still may able to find a sugar mama if it came to that too Cat Tongue

        
Message 16 of 50
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

I usually get $10,000 from Federal return and $5,000 from State return.

This is because each pay period in addition to what is withheld, I withhold extra each pay period for Fed and State so I always end up payin gmore taxes than I owe.

I do it so I do not owe taxes plus I think of it ias the government saving my money for me for a year and then giving it back to me so I don't spend it when I get paid.

This is the last thing I would've expected from you Smiley Happy

Why give the government an interest free loan of ~15K (ok not all of it is withheld at one time) rather than in one of your market investments?

Generally speaking from a financial perspective it's better to owe the government than get a refund... probably the reason SE folks have to file quarterly estimated taxes.  Oh drat going to have to go do that again.

        
Message 17 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Probably identically what I had witheld for the IRS this year.  Income was so low this year I think I may have fallen under the "don't have to file" line.  Will anyway since mortgage lender will complain but w/e.

Some one on this forum mentioned being homeless ... I still have that room available for a fee Smiley Wink Toss in lots of outside activities and the Superior National Forest.

Only problem is if I were homeless I probably couldn't afford the fee Smiley Happy

It's a bit of hyperbole as I'm not certain I'm ever going to be allowed to retire, but my core argument regarding fiscal defensibility is even someone in good health with minimal burn rate, well life is nothing if not unpredictable, even when it's on the boring side.

I still may able to find a sugar mama if it came to that too Cat Tongue

Not to many years ago I lived in a one room cabin on a lake. The landlord treated me like a son. It was what I could afford. The summers were nice but the eight foot snow drifts were tough in the winter. Kept me from being homeless. Do understand Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 50
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@KaLin wrote:

Getting back about $600 more this year than I got last year.  Smiley Happy

Did you get any last year? You could share ... Smiley Wink

Haha!!

Got back $1872 last year.  Getting $2375 this year, so about $500 more, rather than $600.  Had to make a last minute adjustment in some business expenses before hitting the eFile button.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 50
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone filed their taxes yet?  Getting anything good?  Right now for me its looking like $6,000... Not too shabby I guess

Preliminary calculations have been done. Zero refund/zero payment.  It was like that last year, the year before that and it will be that way next year. 

The reason - I choose the amount paid back to my RRSP home buyers plan on the IT form.  RRSP in Canada is like a 401k. The home buyers plan (HBP) is a way of withdrawing from my RRSP to pay the downpayment on my house. I essentially owe my future self.  So to suit myself I will vary the amount dedicated to paying back my RRSP to adjust my taxes to zero.  I am way ahead of my payback period of 15 years (by 10 years).  Next year will likely be my last payment +/- a few dollars.  After that I will be getting refunds. And in order to minimize that refund in the future, I will be investing in more RRSPs until I reach my max and then into TFSAs (similar to a ROTH IRA).

Ideally, a refund of close to zero is best. If you have a large refund you are mismanaging YOUR money.  You basically have given governments free use of your money without interest for several months.  I would rather put my money even into a low interest fund paying only a couple % rather than loaning my hard earned money to a thankless anonymous heartless government.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.