Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about those Buckeyes!

tag
localuser
Regular Contributor

How about those Buckeyes!

I've lived in Columbus my entire life and I've never loved them until tonight. I rooted for them silently since meeting my wife though.

TL;DR I'm a huge buckeye fan now!

Growing up I was a big Michigan fan due to my dear Aunt (RIP) but I started to realize what The Ohio State University meant to our city, state and hell nation for that matter. I was never into sports so that could have been another contributing factor to my meh attitude. I was one out of a hand few of people I ever met that was not a gigantic Buckeye fan so the pressure was there but I never succumbed. I always watched the games judging them, saying they are over rated for the last 18 years or so and I'm 30 but, no more. They (The University in general) continue to impress me every year with sports, community growth by building new infrastructure providing jobs, and staying above par in the press, has got into my blood and I'm a Buckeye fan for life!

I wasn't a fan of Jim Tressel as he was too conservative with the team he had but Urban Meyer is the man for the job and be deserves money thrown at him (j/k) but he's exactly the coach for our Buckeyes and has done a fantastic job since he's been hired.

I believe this is why our city continues to grow and grow, you can tune into a great game every Saturday during football season to watch a University that does great things; win games. Americans love football so it's easy to attract talent as well as great companies with jobs, and we all have something in common that's good for the city we live in.

When you lose your 1st string QB, your 2nd game, your 2nd string QB, defense never on the same plan, and a line backer (RIP) through out the year and walk into the championship game and win 59-0 as an underdog, playing the 2nd best defense in the nation is highly impressive, and just boosted the cities devotion for the team. I told my wife all week they have to come out and show what they are made of to make into number 4 and if they don't get it now, it'll be a black cloud  to the season and will crush my dreams for once.  It's very odd I type this post as I've never really wanted a team to win but it feels right expressing this.

Message to the rest of the World: We are Columbus, Ohio and we come to dominate!

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: How about those Buckeyes!

Heeey, I am in Columbus, too. We actually moved here from Ann Arbor where my husband had completed his bachelor at University of Mich. He was accepted into OSU for his doctorate program, and we have two more years of being here.

I am not a fan of football, but I LOVE the city!!! So much to do, a lot of pride, and it is beautiful, too! The jobs are plentiful and cost of living is low, bicycle friendly, and all the summer time festivals (Pride, Comm Fest, Dublin Beer Festival, etc) keeps this city fun and interesting. I am going to miss Columbus terribly when we have to move, but I feel lucky to be a  Columbusite.

Columbus is where it's at, fo' sho'!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a Buckeye fan (Trojans! Fight On!) but just a general football and sports enthusiast. I had a feeling the playoff committee was gonna screw up and place Baylor or something in the playoffs but Ohio State played one hell of a game and a season at that. I thought the game was going to be close though but I've never seen so much emotion in a domination. Congrats to them! They definitely have their work cut out for them but there's no reason to doubt they can't pull another upset in the Sugar Bowl.

Message 3 of 5
localuser
Regular Contributor

It's funny looking at social media and people saying how terrible a city Columbus is and how terrible a state Ohio is... Probably stems from them not being capable enough to get a real job at one of our fine institutions (OSU, Nationwide Insurance, AEP, Columbia Gas, Huntington, or Chase)  It could also stem from them thinking we are nothing but a cow town and still ride in buggies Smiley Very Happy  Even though you can drive 5 mins outside Columbus and see a cow doesn't mean we're all hill jacks.

I'm looking foward to the 1st so we (Columbus) can find out if we can hang with the best of the SEC... Will also give SEC fans a chance to play our best.

Columbus has really improved since Coleman took over and I'm really sad he is leaving (ironic as I lean towards the republican side)  I was sorta shocked they dropped Baylor 6 spots.. I am hoping next year, it'll be a playoffs of 8... 

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 4 of 5
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Meh. Smiley Indifferent

<- Sour MSU Spartan fan.

Please rep the B1G well.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.