Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you destroy a metal credit card?

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

How do you destroy a metal credit card?

I ordered an AU card for my wife for my Amex Platinum card so that she can use the lounges when she travels.  Due to a system glitch they sent her 2 cards with 2 different account numbers.  I went online to chat with a CSR to close one of the accounts, etc., when the CSR said to destroy the duplicative card.  I replied: "how do you destroy a metal card?"  The CSR replied to burn it or send it back to us.  I had not thought of it before but that makes sense since it is bonded card.  Into the fire pit it will go this 4th week-end!  

Have a great 4th and be safe,

Driftless

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you destroy a metal credit card?

Amex has a envelope they give you that comes with the metal platinum card for you to send back to them. Chase does the same thing. If you don't have it, im sure if you request it they can send you that specific envelope that gets returned back to them and destroyed. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Obtain forge.

2. Melt metal credit card into molten ore.

3. Mold the ore into a stake

4. Drive through the heart of a vampire if ever attacked. 

Message 3 of 10
driftless
Valued Contributor

We have a Solostove fire pit that recombusts reusing the hot air - it gets really hot!  I am looking forward to seeing the card delaminate in the heat this week-end.   Smiley LOL

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I though vampires required a wooden stake, not metal Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with melting it. You have to throw it into the vat of molten metal to destroy it; like in termintor 2. Those cards are unstoppable. It's the only way to destory it.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with melting it. You have to throw it into the vat of molten metal to destroy it; like in termintor 2. Those cards are unstoppable. It's the only way to destory it.

Or like the ring. One ring to rule them all. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Tin snips will make short work of it as well

Message 8 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex has a envelope they give you that comes with the metal platinum card for you to send back to them. Chase does the same thing. If you don't have it, im sure if you request it they can send you that specific envelope that gets returned back to them and destroyed. 

Yup, when you request a replacement metal card (whether it's expired or compromised), they always send out a small envelop for you to mail the old card back.  This happened to me with both CSP & Amex Plat. 

Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Easy, put it in front of John Conner Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.