cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you react when people talk to you as if you are new to credit?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

How do you react when people talk to you as if you are new to credit?

When you call customer service or go to a branch and they start talking to you as if you have no clue to how credit works. I ask this because most who read this forum have a lot of knowledge of how credit works and can go into a lot of details. Do you stop the CSR immediately and say "I know, I'm an expert", do you listen along just to be nice?, do you correct something they say if it's not accurate? etc...

I'm sure the CSRs are trained to speak to everyone the same way and I'm also sure some CSRs are also trained to not give you the entire credit picture just so you can apply for their products.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: How do you react when people talk to you as if you are new to credit?

Listen to what they say and match against my knowledge. I don't know everything about credit so I listen so that  I may learn something new. 

Message 2 of 11
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@DrZoiberg wrote:

Listen to what they say and match against my knowledge. I don't know everything about credit so I listen so that  I may learn something new. 

I agree. I let them say whatever they want to, so I also know whether to trust their advice later on, as well.

Message 3 of 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@DrZoiberg wrote:

I agree. I let them say whatever they want to, so I also know whether to trust their advice later on, as well.

Same here. However I have to say I don't very often find them talking down to me or treating me as a newbie. Because of MyFico, I've even had the experience to give CSRs some corrected info about credit once or twice. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 11
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I jsu tlet them say what they think they know and then I correct them and ask for their supervisor. If they are nice, I let it go. if they seem demeaning or talking down to me, then its on, lol. 

Message 5 of 11
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I also want to add that I think if you call the backdoor numbers and ask to have an app recon number then they know that you know a little about credit. Before I saw these sites I had no idea there were recon numbers to overturn decisions or to get CLIs. Just knowing that you can get a manual review I think sets the tone. Most people that are denied probably never recon or even know that you can. 

Message 6 of 11
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I tuned the very nice lady at U.S. bank out when she said that inquires take about 2 weeks to show up on your report.

I don't correct, but I am glad I know better by being here.

Message 7 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I hope I'm never to old to learn so I listen. If they are wrong and are nice I may try to correct them if not I let them remain the fool.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally listen incase I might pickup on something useful. Sometimes I will offer supplemental information which may correct their misinformation. Try to get an idea on the landscape so I know how to approach the matter and increase my opportunities for a positive outcome.
Message 9 of 11
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

i listen with an open mind, though if it's during a phone call i do kind of roll my eyes when they seem a bit less informed =D.

it's similar to when i call to apply for a CC and they start to tell you about all its benefits haha. but every now and then theyll mention something i wasn't aware of / forgot and it's a pleasant surprise!

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.