cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you reduce your stress when traveling?

tag
Henrietta23
Valued Member

How do you reduce your stress when traveling?

One of my main lifetime goals is to reduce my stress level in every way possible.  Here are the main things I have come up with to lower my stress when traveling:

1)  Allow extra time

2)  Anticipate possible needs and provide for them

3)  Plan, plan, plan

4)  Set goals for the trip (which may be very different than the goals I have when not traveling)

5)  Try to be as flexible as possible

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Established Contributor

Re: How do you reduce your stress when traveling?

One should always remember that anyone with a pulse is allowed to have a drivers lincense. Armed with this knowledge, one should never allow another drivers unsafe actions to influence your mental state. This is clearly easier said than done and takes a great deal mental strength to avoid this outside influence trap.
Message Edited by plasticman on 09-07-2009 08:31 AM
Message 2 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

That's easy!

I leave DW home!  Smiley Happy

(...which greatly increases stress when I'm NOT traveling...)

Message 3 of 11
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

LOL.... Even tho I hold about 15 diffrent certificates for driving and have about a million miles under my belt In big trucks she always seems to be the backseat driver on all our trips
2wheel
Message 4 of 11
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Listen to music..Smiley Happy

Certain songs take me back when i was younger, when i had almost no worries.

Oh and when i'm driving.....Love driving music

Song just came to mind..........I can't drive 55. LOLSmiley Very Happy

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 11
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

With two young kids, this is how I reduce stress:

- DVD player with lots of previously-unviewed shows to watch

- two noise-canceling headphones

- stickers, Play-Doh, crayons, markers, coloring books

- new books

- Goldfish crackers, M&Ms, gummi bears, juice boxes (legal to take through security in small quantities!)

- lots of $5 bills to pay for my own beverages

Message 6 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I try and avoid changing planes in Chicago.

I use melatonin and sleeping pills for time changes greater than 4 hours

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

We leave next Thursday for Germany.  I don't check my luggage, I don't need the hassle.  I use a backpack on wheels and space bags.  Toiletries I purchase there.  I have my clothing laundered at the hotel if need be.  I take two pair of jeans as they can be worn twice, wash my undies out & dry myself.  One pair of casual capris & a shirt that doesn't wrinkle.  Two pair of socks as I usually don't wear with tennie's.  Jacket & two tees & one long sleeved shirt.  This all fits into two space bags.

While hoardes of people are in line waiting for their luggage, I'm on my way to my apartment.  They're just getting into their cabs & I've had a shower and am enjoying my first glass of wine.

I like to be spontaneous, see where the day takes me.  We are going to the Oktoberfest on the 19th, when it opens.  We'll get a spot in one of the tents, then more outdoors when the weather cools. 

Sunday, we're going to Dauchau, not doing a tour.  I'll get up and have breakfast then meander to the Marienplatz for a beverage, relax a bit then get a train.  Going to the market on the way home.  Drinks & Food on the Platz.

Monday, we're taking the early train to Fussen, spending the night.  Taking DS to see both castles & renting bikes to ride around the lake.  Sometime in the evening, it's a bier garten. 

No idea what we're doing Wednesday, probably back to the Oktoberfest, wander around during the day.

Message 8 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

MV, of course our plane changes in Chicago.  Torture.  We change in Dc on return, with a 7 hr delay.  Enough time to leave the airport and get some food & drinks for a reasonable price.

I always take a paperback and leave it behind.  I also will take a bit of needlework to relax with.  And my neck pillow is a MUST.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When we fly, we hire a town car to take us to the airport.  Here's how I convinced DH that it's worth the extra cost:

• We don't have to worry about finding parking.
  • No lugging all of our stuff on a parking shuttle.
  • We don't have to plan extra time to get from the parking to the terminal.
  • Of course the opposite on the way back, stuff on the shuttle and finding the car again!
  • I'm a worrier, I'd spend the entire vacation worrying about the car parked in the lot at LAX!
  • You can leave your car keys at home, one less thing to pack. 
  • It's certainly better than one of those vans where you have to go with (possibly smelly) strangers and do pick-ups and drop-offs, not knowing how much extra time they'll take.
  • DH's favorite: His vacation gets to start at the same time mine does!  It's really relaxing!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.