cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take you to achieve your goals?

tag
Henrietta23
Valued Member

How long does it take you to achieve your goals?

I am very impatient -- I want to achieve my goals quickly.  If you have achieved a goal recently (any goal), please tell how long it took from the time you started to the time when you could say you did what you set out to do.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long does it take you to achieve your goals?

I think the time it would take would depend upon the goal sought and the specific situation.

Maybe you should break your large goal down into smaller goals that you achieve on your way to the big picture.

For instance, when people are losing weight, they may have a overall goal to lose 50lbs, but will set 10 lb weight loss goals, so they feel they are achieving something.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will depend on how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work at it....and dare I say it; fate.

If you are talking expenses, it takes dicipline...

If you are taking life changes (like job, location etc.) it takes determination...

Ulitmately I find that the answer is....it will happen when the right time.

Probably not what you are looking for as an answer. But the best thing I can say is that (in my situation) it never mattered how badly I wanted something. I just always got it at just the right time.

Recent Goals:

In 2004 strapped out on available credit with $14K in the hole.  I stopped, re-evaluated, was promotted a few times and paid off the debt by Nov. 2006.

In 2007 had an interview in Austin for a great job...got to the point where they wanted me to come up for the final interview (due to cash issues had to decline).  In June 2008 (after no attempt from the '07 loss) had an interview, didn't like the terms, had a new interview and a 2nd with the company in July....took the job and moved 3 weeks after the offer......I live in Austin now and could not be more happier! 

So tell us your actual goals and we can at least provide suggestions, support or at least sympathies to your situation.

Message Edited by 1111mel on 01-07-2009 10:17 PM
Message 3 of 26
Henrietta23
Valued Member

Thank you for the great ideas -- very helpful.  I will reflect for a while before I write more about this.

Meanwhile, I hope more forum members address this issue.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I again have renewed my missed goal from last year--World Domination!

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

On December 31, 2007,  I had 3 goals for 2008:

* New job (started it in August 2008 but had been looking for a looooong time)

* Good health for DF (rather not be too specific, but we got the desired result)

* Marry DF (achieved on December 30, 2008)

So it took almost exactly one year for those 3 goals ... good luck to you with yours!

(I also wanted to lose 10-15 lbs for the wedding ... instead I gained 12 lbs ... so you can't do it all)

Message 6 of 26
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

On December 31, 2007,  I had 3 goals for 2008:

* New job (started it in August 2008 but had been looking for a looooong time)

* Good health for DF (rather not be too specific, but we got the desired result)

* Marry DF (achieved on December 30, 2008)

So it took almost exactly one year for those 3 goals ... good luck to you with yours!

(I also wanted to lose 10-15 lbs for the wedding ... instead I gained 12 lbs ... so you can't do it all)

Good to see you again Mas.  Congrats on everything...except the 12 lbs.  Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 26
MattH
Senior Contributor

The length of time it takes for me to attain a goal depends on the size of that goal; some of my goals such as getting my Ph.D. took me quite a while.  Almost any long-term goal depends on remembering what you really want.

As for your expressed desire to attain them quickly, there's always the Prayer for Patience, which comes in multiple versions.  "Make me patient, but not yet!" and "Give me patience immediately!" come to mindSmiley Very Happy

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 26
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

My goal is to understand women.  I figure I need about a dozen more lifetimes  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 26
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:
My goal is to understand women.  I figure I need about a dozen more lifetimes  Smiley Sad

I really only need to understand one woman, so maybe I can manage to understand my DW in one lifetimeSmiley Surprised

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.