Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards do you have?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

@JoshNurse wrote:

It shows as having a low impact but I have a low score on the amount of accounts I have opened.

If I can open about 10 more cards I can reach the 22+ with my future mortgage loan.

I am not sure what to do Smiley Indifferent

Yea.. I would ignore  that Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 11 of 54
jd352
Regular Contributor

6 cards. Fico around 760 across the board.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 12 of 54
pip3man
Valued Contributor

I have 8  CC which includes 2 store cards - Macys & GE Sony Card. I'm looking to add 7 more CC minus a GE Care Credit (which really isn't a CC) before the year runs out and that's it for the life of me! Current FICO EQ is 728.

Message 13 of 54
renea87

Not including Au accounts I have 7 cc, 4 store cards and Care Credit. Hoping to drop a few in the next 6 to 12 months. Tu 708 Ex 734
Message 14 of 54
H14
Contributor

8 now, scoreatch EQ 749, Discover TU 794.

Only one I want to close is the amazon store, but it's my second oldest and I need to let everything age 3-4 years before I do that. 

Message 15 of 54
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

That credit karma chart is really starting to bug me.  I feel like I am in school and see a D grade on my exam.  I am trying hard to make it an A. I wish they could remove that section...its making people like me have a collection of credit cards.

Message 16 of 54
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

It shows as having a low impact but I have a low score on the amount of accounts I have opened.

If I can open about 10 more cards I can reach the 22+ with my future mortgage loan.

I don't think it is wise to base your CR on what credt karma tells you to do.

Why do you want so many CC is it that you think somehow you will get a higher score?  Why do you think you will get approved for al those cards anyway it is not as simple as just a credit score.  Take Barclay's they are inq sensitive.

I have 6 cards.  Citi WEMC 40k cl CSP/Freedom each with  19.4 cl a USAA MC 25k, Amex EDP 21k  and PRG.  Just closed Citi TYP 25k cl and USAA amex 25k CL.

Score 771

Message 17 of 54
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

I don't think it is wise to base your CR on what credt karma tells you to do.

Why do you want so many CC is it that you think somehow you will get a higher score?  Why do you think you will get approved for al those cards anyway it is not as simple as just a credit score.  Take Barclay's they are inq sensitive.

I have 6 cards.  Citi WEMC 40k cl CSP/Freedom each with  19.4 cl a USAA MC 25k, Amex EDP 21k  and PRG.  Just closed Citi TYP 25k cl and USAA amex 25k CL.

Score 771

I use Credit karma only for loose reference of my Credit nothing to take to serious. It does tell my my utilization right on there which is nice 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 18 of 54
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

What I do is put very small fees on each card.  For example one for netflix, one for hulu, one for my web hosting fees etc..  I can probably use about 4 cards and the rest completly automated in terms of paying them and charging them.

Is this even a good idea?  I see you have a much higer score than me Transmogrifying_Bee.

In the LONGER term, I don't think having too many cards will hurt your credit score.  SHORTER term, you're probably going to hurt this score by racking up too many inquiries, depending on how fast you app'd.  Also, your AAoA may take a hit initially.

In MY case, I just don't want that many cards in my cc portfolio, especially store cards.  I'd rather funnel my spending through fewer cards than try to keep every cc company "happy" with an occasional purchase.  I may miss out on the higher sale discounts a store card may offer, but that's okay for me.  Now, if you're younger and just starting out with a house, etc., I can see the benefits of, say, a Lowe's card (or such) which may extend you higher CL's and favorable payment terms.  As they say, YMMV . . . !

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 19 of 54
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys!

I just counted my credit cards and I actually have 12...I think credit karma is not showing my newest ones.

So I will probably get up to 15 and then I will not get any more cards for several years.

Which Chase card gave you the highest CL? Any other good card recommendations?  No Barclays please I already have too many Barclays.

Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.