Did you mean: 

How many credit cards do you have?

tag
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

@Transmogrifying_Bee wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

What I do is put very small fees on each card.  For example one for netflix, one for hulu, one for my web hosting fees etc..  I can probably use about 4 cards and the rest completly automated in terms of paying them and charging them.

Is this even a good idea?  I see you have a much higer score than me Transmogrifying_Bee.

In the LONGER term, I don't think having too many cards will hurt your credit score.  SHORTER term, you're probably going to hurt this score by racking up too many inquiries, depending on how fast you app'd.  Also, your AAoA may take a hit initially.

In MY case, I just don't want that many cards in my cc portfolio, especially store cardsI'd rather funnel my spending through fewer cards than try to keep every cc company "happy" with an occasional purchase.  I may miss out on the higher sale discounts a store card may offer, but that's okay for me.  Now, if you're younger and just starting out with a house, etc., I can see the benefits of, say, a Lowe's card (or such) which may extend you higher CL's and favorable payment terms.  As they say, YMMV . . . !

+1

Message 21 of 54
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks guys!

I just counted my credit cards and I actually have 12...I think credit karma is not showing my newest ones.

So I will probably get up to 15 and then I will not get any more cards for several years.

Which Chase card gave you the highest CL? Any other good card recommendations?  No Barclays please I already have too many Barclays.

The Chase sapphire or CSP ( same card but is called chase sapphire preferred and has 40.000 points bonus and you can transfer points to miles and X7% annual bonus or something along with an AF of $95). My Chase sapphire was $5k and i apped for it after the freedom which gave me $3,500. The CS is a Visa siggy which is a min $5k

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 22 of 54
gh17
Frequent Contributor

I do have close to whatever it is CK recommends, but the majority of it is a bunch of student loans and then those same student loans showing up as additional accounts from when they switched servicers.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 23 of 54
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

7 Cards

Highest FICO is 757.  

Juggling cards seems like a good idea (I had 9 or 10 at one point).  But it gets old quick.  I'm looking to cut down to 3 or 4.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 24 of 54
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Closingracer99. I will apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card next!

Message 25 of 54
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

I have 7 and 3 store cards plus Au on Care credit

Score is TU 758

Message 26 of 54
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks Closingracer99. I will apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card next!

NP Smiley Happy

Going to app that next year probably close the CS then along with the Amazon visa or Store card with it 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 27 of 54
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks guys!

I just counted my credit cards and I actually have 12...I think credit karma is not showing my newest ones.

So I will probably get up to 15 and then I will not get any more cards for several years.

Which Chase card gave you the highest CL? Any other good card recommendations?  No Barclays please I already have too many Barclays.

The Chase sapphire or CSP ( same card but is called chase sapphire preferred and has 40.000 points bonus and you can transfer points to miles and X7% annual bonus or something along with an AF of $95). My Chase sapphire was $5k and i apped for it after the freedom which gave me $3,500. The CS is a Visa siggy which is a min $5k

Can a person even apply for a the regular sapphire?  Side bar they are definitely not the same card?  I am not even talking about the card being metal I mean the other benfits.  Even if you can apply for both why would you when the CSP has a 40k sign up bonus and no AF the first year.  You can always degrade to the regular sapphire before the AF kicks in.

2x travel, No FTF,  20% off travel,  1:1 transfer to transfer partners, chip and sig.  Just some of benefits of the CSP that the regular doesn't have.

Message 28 of 54
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks guys!

Can a person even apply for a the regular sapphire?  Side bar they are definitely not the same card?  I am not even talking about the card being metal I mean the other benfits.  Even if you can apply for both why would you when the CSP has a 40k sign up bonus and no AF the first year.  You can always degrade to the regular sapphire before the AF kicks in.

I apped for the Regular version ... No way am i going to be hitting the 3 months spending on that + the 2 other cards i apped for that already has bonuses. IF you read what i wrote after that i said it was the same but you get 40k bonus points, transfer of points and af at 95... might be some more but generally the only differences. 

Im planning on apping for the CSP next year which is my goal... 

Message 29 of 54
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

14 cards.
FICO 689

Plans are (next yr) to close two cap 1 cards, combine my Barclay Cards to just the Sallie Mae and open a travel card. So ideally 12 next year.
Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.