Reply
Regular Contributor
Simba501
Posts: 171
Registered: ‎06-01-2014

Re: How many credit cards do you have?


Transmogrifying_Bee wrote:

JoshNurse wrote:

What I do is put very small fees on each card.  For example one for netflix, one for hulu, one for my web hosting fees etc..  I can probably use about 4 cards and the rest completly automated in terms of paying them and charging them.

 

Is this even a good idea?  I see you have a much higer score than me Transmogrifying_Bee.


In the LONGER term, I don't think having too many cards will hurt your credit score.  SHORTER term, you're probably going to hurt this score by racking up too many inquiries, depending on how fast you app'd.  Also, your AAoA may take a hit initially.

In MY case, I just don't want that many cards in my cc portfolio, especially store cardsI'd rather funnel my spending through fewer cards than try to keep every cc company "happy" with an occasional purchase.  I may miss out on the higher sale discounts a store card may offer, but that's okay for me.  Now, if you're younger and just starting out with a house, etc., I can see the benefits of, say, a Lowe's card (or such) which may extend you higher CL's and favorable payment terms.  As they say, YMMV . . . !


+1

Established Contributor
Closingracer99
Posts: 2,115
Registered: ‎06-21-2014

Re: How many credit cards do you have?


JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks guys!

 

I just counted my credit cards and I actually have 12...I think credit karma is not showing my newest ones.

 

So I will probably get up to 15 and then I will not get any more cards for several years.

 

Which Chase card gave you the highest CL? Any other good card recommendations?  No Barclays please I already have too many Barclays.


The Chase sapphire or CSP ( same card but is called chase sapphire preferred and has 40.000 points bonus and you can transfer points to miles and X7% annual bonus or something along with an AF of $95). My Chase sapphire was $5k and i apped for it after the freedom which gave me $3,500. The CS is a Visa siggy which is a min $5k


My Cards: Amex BCE $3,000; Amex Everyday $4,000; Amazon Store Card $850; Amazon Visa $1,000; Chase Freedom $4,500; Chase Sapphire $4,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000; Chase Marriott: $5,000; Citi Thank you preferred $6,000; Citi Simplicity $4,000; Discover it $1,500, BestBuy Store card $2,000; Capital one QS $500; Bank Of america MLB rewards card $5,400; Capital one Playstation card $750
EX:717, TU:725, EQ: 682
Frequent Contributor
gh17
Posts: 378
Registered: ‎06-12-2011

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

I do have close to whatever it is CK recommends, but the majority of it is a bunch of student loans and then those same student loans showing up as additional accounts from when they switched servicers.

BofA Cash Rewards 16,000 (2009) | Citi Forward 8700 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 17,500 (2013) | Discover It 4750 (2014) | Chase Freedom 6000 (2014) | Barclaycard Sallie Mae 13,000 (2014)

FICO (Discover TU): 772
Goal: 800+
Regular Contributor
Hockeyplayrr
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎09-25-2013

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

7 Cards

 

Highest FICO is 757.  

 

Juggling cards seems like a good idea (I had 9 or 10 at one point).  But it gets old quick.  I'm looking to cut down to 3 or 4.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 738 (July FICO) | Experian 736(July Fico Pull) | Transunion - 758(July Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Marriott Premier 5.2k | CSP - 6.5k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | Citi TYP 3.5k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 2.6k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Regular Contributor
JoshNurse
Posts: 245
Registered: ‎03-19-2013

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

Thanks Closingracer99. I will apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card next!


Frequent Contributor
9CLINE
Posts: 382
Registered: ‎05-31-2013

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

I have 7 and 3 store cards plus Au on Care credit

Score is TU 758

Starting Score: 480 (CK - 5/11)Current Score: 744(EX per Amex 7/14/14)730 (EQ FICO per BB 9/13) 760 (TU per Barclay 8/2/14) Goal Score: 830 (Last app 7/14/14) Gardening till 3/2015 Cards:
Chase Freedom Visa (1,000) My BestBuy (3,000) Citi Simp.Visa (3,700) Chase Slate (4,500) Home Depot (4,500) Barclays World Arrival (5,000) Amex EDP (5,500) Belk (5,500) Discover iT (5,600) JCP Gold Mastercard (6,000) Chase Sapphire (7,000) Amex BCE (10,000)
Established Contributor
Closingracer99
Posts: 2,115
Registered: ‎06-21-2014

Re: How many credit cards do you have?


JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks Closingracer99. I will apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card next!


NP :smileyhappy:

 

Going to app that next year probably close the CS then along with the Amazon visa or Store card with it 


My Cards: Amex BCE $3,000; Amex Everyday $4,000; Amazon Store Card $850; Amazon Visa $1,000; Chase Freedom $4,500; Chase Sapphire $4,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000; Chase Marriott: $5,000; Citi Thank you preferred $6,000; Citi Simplicity $4,000; Discover it $1,500, BestBuy Store card $2,000; Capital one QS $500; Bank Of america MLB rewards card $5,400; Capital one Playstation card $750
EX:717, TU:725, EQ: 682
Valued Contributor
ezdoesit
Posts: 1,051
Registered: ‎03-16-2013

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

[ Edited ]

Closingracer99 wrote:

JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks guys!

 

I just counted my credit cards and I actually have 12...I think credit karma is not showing my newest ones.

 

So I will probably get up to 15 and then I will not get any more cards for several years.

 

Which Chase card gave you the highest CL? Any other good card recommendations?  No Barclays please I already have too many Barclays.


The Chase sapphire or CSP ( same card but is called chase sapphire preferred and has 40.000 points bonus and you can transfer points to miles and X7% annual bonus or something along with an AF of $95). My Chase sapphire was $5k and i apped for it after the freedom which gave me $3,500. The CS is a Visa siggy which is a min $5k


Can a person even apply for a the regular sapphire?  Side bar they are definitely not the same card?  I am not even talking about the card being metal I mean the other benfits.  Even if you can apply for both why would you when the CSP has a 40k sign up bonus and no AF the first year.  You can always degrade to the regular sapphire before the AF kicks in.

 

2x travel, No FTF,  20% off travel,  1:1 transfer to transfer partners, chip and sig.  Just some of benefits of the CSP that the regular doesn't have.

Established Contributor
Closingracer99
Posts: 2,115
Registered: ‎06-21-2014

Re: How many credit cards do you have?


ezdoesit wrote:

Closingracer99 wrote:

JoshNurse wrote:

Thanks guys!

 

I just counted my credit cards and I actually have 12...I think credit karma is not showing my newest ones.

 

So I will probably get up to 15 and then I will not get any more cards for several years.

 

Which Chase card gave you the highest CL? Any other good card recommendations?  No Barclays please I already have too many Barclays.


The Chase sapphire or CSP ( same card but is called chase sapphire preferred and has 40.000 points bonus and you can transfer points to miles and X7% annual bonus or something along with an AF of $95). My Chase sapphire was $5k and i apped for it after the freedom which gave me $3,500. The CS is a Visa siggy which is a min $5k


Can a person even apply for a the regular sapphire?  Side bar they are definitely not the same card?  I am not even talking about the card being metal I mean the other benfits.  Even if you can apply for both why would you when the CSP has a 40k sign up bonus and no AF the first year.  You can always degrade to the regular sapphire before the AF kicks in.


I apped for the Regular version ... No way am i going to be hitting the 3 months spending on that + the 2 other cards i apped for that already has bonuses. IF you read what i wrote after that i said it was the same but you get 40k bonus points, transfer of points and af at 95... might be some more but generally the only differences. 

 

Im planning on apping for the CSP next year which is my goal... 


My Cards: Amex BCE $3,000; Amex Everyday $4,000; Amazon Store Card $850; Amazon Visa $1,000; Chase Freedom $4,500; Chase Sapphire $4,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000; Chase Marriott: $5,000; Citi Thank you preferred $6,000; Citi Simplicity $4,000; Discover it $1,500, BestBuy Store card $2,000; Capital one QS $500; Bank Of america MLB rewards card $5,400; Capital one Playstation card $750
EX:717, TU:725, EQ: 682
Frequent Contributor
lonelyisland
Posts: 440
Registered: ‎10-30-2013

Re: How many credit cards do you have?

14 cards.
FICO 689

Plans are (next yr) to close two cap 1 cards, combine my Barclay Cards to just the Sallie Mae and open a travel card. So ideally 12 next year.
Start: MyFICO EQ 579 (Oct 2013)
Now: MyFICO EX 722 | EQ 700 | TU 726 | (SEPT 2014)

AMEX Everyday $23.5K | Chase Marriott Premier $12K | Discover IT $9K | Sportsman Guide Visa $7K | Chase Freedom $5.5K | Talbots $5100 | Barclays Sallie Mae $5K | Nordstroms $5K | Loft MC $4900 | J Crew $4,850 | Banana Republic $2100 |Macys $2K | Cap One QS1 $1800 | Cap One QS1 $1750 | Amazon $1700 |

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}