cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many do not have cash in their wallets? :)

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

How many do not have cash in their wallets? :)

Don't mind the question, and I am currectly in garden mode I am bored as hell.....Smiley Very Happy

I been thinking about this. If you have charge, credit, and debit cards,  what's the point of carrying around cash? I have all my "available" cash in my debit card, and currectly have only one credit card. I see no reason to carry around cash. Plus, I think it just "safer" like that. If my wallet gets lost or stolen, I can easily called my bank/credit companies, and have them cancel my cards before anyone takes any thing from them. If I carried around with cash, it's gone. For good.......

Just thinkin out loud.....Smiley Happy 

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: How many do not have cash in their wallets? :)

Never carry cash.  Have been using debit for 7 years +/-.

However, I think I'm going to credit card instead - way more fraud around here then usual, as of late.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 27
android01
Valued Contributor

I always carry around $100 in cash  just to have if I have to use it.  It's more of a back up type of thing than anything else.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 3 of 27
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I still carry cash although I use CC for anything that takes it.    Most Vending machines don't take CC.

I also keep a lot of coins handy in the car for parking meters.

Message 4 of 27
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Lately ive been carying about 10 in cash a week for vending machines or lunch at work.  However in the last 6 or 7 years ive almost never carried cash.  When i needed cash for something id just use an atm.

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 27
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Sometimes, for water through the vending machine at work. Most of the time I have no cash.

For emergencies I do keep a $20 bill in my glove compartment box of my car; thankfully, because it came in handy one day. 60 miles away from home, I pulled into a gas station to get gas and then noticed I forgot my wallet at home.

30 years from now someone will ask "How many do not have cards in their wallets?", because our cell phones will be able to make purchases; 100 years from now someone will ask "How many do not carry a wallet?", because video recognition and mechanical telepathy will know who you are and how you wish to pay... true story Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 27
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

Don't mind the question, and I am currectly in garden mode I am bored as hell.....Smiley Very Happy

I been thinking about this. If you have charge, credit, and debit cards,  what's the point of carrying around cash? I have all my "available" cash in my debit card, and currectly have only one credit card. I see no reason to carry around cash. Plus, I think it just "safer" like that. If my wallet gets lost or stolen, I can easily called my bank/credit companies, and have them cancel my cards before anyone takes any thing from them. If I carried around with cash, it's gone. For good.......

Just thinkin out loud.....Smiley Happy 

Guess you stopped going to the strip club?  Smiley Wink

Seriously, though, there's no substitute for cash in an emergency.  I try to have a couple of hundred in my wallet just in case.  And I find it's just easier to pay for lots of things with cash. like small purchases in a store or a restaurant.  If I use my cards for that, I have to hang on to the receipts, then reconcile them when the statement comes out...  So I tend to use cash for anything where it won't bring down my emergency money too much.

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 27
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I have like $15 in my wallet. Useful in the case of catching a bus (obviously bus doesn't take debit/credit card).

Message 8 of 27
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I couldn't live without a couple of hundred dollars in cash with me.  I use cash for all of the little stuff, like breakfast, etc.  I don't carry a wallet, and I keep my money in my front pocket.  I have done this my whole life, works for me.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 9 of 27
pakman92
Established Contributor

I carry some.  A lot of places will not take less than $5 transaqction on debit or credit card.  Depending on when I withdrawed I have somewhere between $0-$100 in my wallet.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.