Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many hours do you work?

tag
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Re: How many hours do you work?

I work about 65 hours a week usually. Ive worked as much as 90 hours in one week when i use to be tech support. No im a project manager and it can vary up to 75 hours a week but usually stays around 65.

im only 21 so it doesnt bother me yet. the money is great so im not complaining.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 21 of 33
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@Ridewithme38 wrote:

Do you guys who work 60+ hours a week find it 'worth' the loses to personal and family time?  At the end of the day, is cuddling up with a slightly better paycheck worth not really knowing who your kids are?

This is something i'm working on figuring out now.  I'm at a transition...Been a typist for 5-6 years working 38hrs, leaving everything behind when i leave the office, simple no stress job.  Recently a job has been posted that i would be perfect for, I've been recommended for it by some of the top bosses....Big promotion, but, i know people who do it now...it's 24hr 7day a week work....Provided a work cellphone and laptop i'd have to carry with me everywhere i go.

I'm not sure if it's worth giving up my life to (more then)triple the amount of money i'd be bringing home a week.  This is nearly an impossible choice for me....Money is tight right now, but i don't know if it's worth giving up family time to make things more comfortable.

Thats a good question, is the money worth having no life? sometimes i want to hang out with my friends and go out to a bar but oh well. Being able to leave your work at work would be really awesome but it goes wherever i go. Im not married and dont have kids so family time is limited to holidays anyways.

Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 22 of 33
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@tylaw13 wrote:

I work about 65 hours a week usually. Ive worked as much as 90 hours in one week when i use to be tech support. No im a project manager and it can vary up to 75 hours a week but usually stays around 65.

im only 21 so it doesnt bother me yet. the money is great so im not complaining.

^^^

When I was in my 20's I used to work 70+ hour weeks in consulting

For one project, as the deadline approached, worked 7am - 6pm, went home, came back 10pm - 12pm next day, then met deadline, went home at 12pm and took a break

Only lasted two years doing that grind

But i was single and used to work hard like this and play hard (like spend the weekend in Hawaii and be back at work Monday)

Message 23 of 33
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@tylaw13 wrote:

^^^

For one project, as the deadline approached, worked 7am - 6pm, went home, came back 10pm - 12pm next day, then met deadline, went home at 12pm and took a break

But i was single and used to work hard like this and play hard (like spend the weekend in Hawaii and be back at work Monday)

a few weeks ago i came in at 8am and left at 1am the next day. Where i work we only have 6 people in the IT dept and i do system admin duties when needed and that day it just seemed like everything went wrong. ive had a few big projects keep me in the office for 12-15 hours a day. im still paid hourly so its all worth it at payday.

Message 24 of 33
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

^^ so true! haha! When I was putting in long 7 day weeks, which resulted in a few couple night trips to Vegas at a time playing just as hard! Our flight back to South Dakota used to take off at 6am, so had to be there at 4am, got back and went to work that day right back at it. 

How i never died of caffeine overdose is beyond me. 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 25 of 33
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@tylaw13 wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@tylaw13 wrote:

^^^

a few weeks ago i came in at 8am and left at 1am the next day. Where i work we only have 6 people in the IT dept and i do system admin duties when needed and that day it just seemed like everything went wrong. ive had a few big projects keep me in the office for 12-15 hours a day. im still paid hourly so its all worth it at payday.

^^^^

I was salary so it was horrible pay for th ehours, but at the end the boss said I can have a weeks worth of pay or a week off as a bonus, I took the week's pay

I also came in Christmas day to work on that project (I was single so not much was happening at home anyway)

Message 26 of 33
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Usually 50-55 hours at the office. Then usually another 10-15 at home via VPN login.

Wouldn't change it. I love my job and it's very well paying.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 27 of 33
Ridewithme38
New Contributor

I've been re-reading some old classic's lately, to help 'rediscover' who i am....Books like, Animal Farm, Lord of the flies, Brave New World, 1984 & Atlas Shrugged....

IMO, this is a great list of books for someone to go over to really see what side of the fence they lean on...Atlas Shrugged, just by itself has helped me make the choice to stay where i am.  I do not want to spend my life just trying to gain more wealth and power.  IMO, money is what you earn so that you CAN live life....and to live life, there really is a VERY minimum amount of money truely needed for that.  I know, that belief goes against the core of the Atlas shrugged book....But, that's what i got from it....Money isn't life, life is life.

3/12/2014:Experian: 684 ~ Equifax: 701 ~ Transunion: 678
4/16/2014:Experian: 718 ~ Equifax: 691 ~ Transunion: 707
7/31/2015:Experian: 660 ~ Equifax: 650 ~ Transunion: 661
8/28/2015:Experian: 716 ~ Equifax: 723 ~ Transunion: 743
Open: Venture (8/15) $10,000 VentureOne(8/15) $10,000 Barclay RCI Elite Rewards (4/14) $5,000 Quicksilver (8/12) $4,550 PayPal SmartConnect (11/07) $4,000 Simmons (8/15): $3,000 STS Credit Card (CFNA): $1,600
Gardening starting August 13, 2015 till....Goal: 760 across the board or bust!! (I need a car)
Message 28 of 33
jm1991
Regular Contributor

Depends, but no less than 40. Usually i get a couple hours of overtimes so it ranges from 40-50 a week. Most ive worked is about 60hrs doing 12 or 16hrs a day because a coworker was sick and we had no coverage. needless to say the paycheck was good. 

Marriott Premier SV: $8,500 Amex blue sky: $24,000 BoA BBR: $3,900 BoA Cash Rewards: $9,100 Ritz Carlton: $5,000 Discover: $5,000
MyFico Score:752
Message 29 of 33
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Currently working 35 hours weekly. I make enough to pay the bills while having some money left over to go out every now and then. I love having weekends off and all the free time, but eventually I'm going to look into something that offers more hours/pay. I worked as a finance manager previously - easily hitting 70+ hours every single week. I was bringing home ridiculous money, but I had NO life. I eventually became burned out and miserable. Just trying to find that happy medium between work and play!

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.