cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do you think the prime rate will increase, within the next 2-4 years?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

How much do you think the prime rate will increase, within the next 2-4 years?

Since it affects all variable rate credit card APRs, was j/c how much do you think the prime rate will increase, within the next 2-4 years?  For example: by an additional  4% - 6%?  More?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much do you think the prime rate will increase, within the next 2-4 years?

Rates tend to move slowly. I'd guess 1-2%
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much do you think the prime rate will increase, within the next 2-4 years?

not an expert on that but im hoping it wont be much Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 12
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Well, the US Prime rate has never exceeded 21.5%, and that was back when I was a teenager.

So, not very much would be my guess.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Although CC people or people that borrow money in  general dont want to hear this, the feds need to raise the rate as it has been way to low for way to  long.  They have no business being in the stock market with their policies either.  It will raise very slowly as people are use to cheap money.

Message 5 of 12
dman23
Frequent Contributor

My buddy and I have concluded that as long as Janet Yellen is Chairperson of the Federal Reserve interest raise will stay where they are. 

myFico Score Experian: Start (4/21/14) 626 Current (5/7/16) 841
myFico Score Equifax: Start (4/30/14) 694 Current (5/6/16) 838
myFico Score Transunion Start (5/01/2014) 727 Current (5/7/16) 842
Discover (4/24/14) 659 (5/5/16) 842
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likely will see one or two increases in 2015 equaling 1/2%. In 2016 may see similar increases. Seems there is political pressure to increase rates.

Message 7 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

The prime rate is data driven, based on analysis at a specific moment in time.  An analysis will likely be done in the next quarter to determine if a rate increase is warranted, based on information at that time.  It's impossible to predict much more than 6 months out, as things can change drastically (see housing bubble/crash of 08-09).  One can certainly speculate, but unless one has a very firm grasp of what the future holds, it's nothing more than that.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prime rate is certainly based on factual economic indicators and it is also influenced by politics. Finance/banks and related pressure for changes (that is in their better interests) that may closely align with their needs and all the facts in the world will not necessarily sway the outcome. Yellen has already stated that the Fed is looking at about an increase of 1/2% during the second half of 2015.
Message 9 of 12
dman23
Frequent Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

The prime rate is data driven, based on analysis at a specific moment in time.  An analysis will likely be done in the next quarter to determine if a rate increase is warranted, based on information at that time.  It's impossible to predict much more than 6 months out, as things can change drastically (see housing bubble/crash of 08-09).  One can certainly speculate, but unless one has a very firm grasp of what the future holds, it's nothing more than that.

I agree. As Yellen has said repeatedly it's "data dependent".

myFico Score Experian: Start (4/21/14) 626 Current (5/7/16) 841
myFico Score Equifax: Start (4/30/14) 694 Current (5/6/16) 838
myFico Score Transunion Start (5/01/2014) 727 Current (5/7/16) 842
Discover (4/24/14) 659 (5/5/16) 842
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.