cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much in taxes should I have taken out of inherited IRA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much in taxes should I have taken out of inherited IRA?

I have recently inherited an IRA.  I know that at a minimum they have to take 10% before they send to me.   How much should I have taken out prior to disbursement?  What I plan on doing with this money is saving it for now until the economy rebounds (sort of as an emergency fund) and then upgrading my home.   Also, what is the best way to invest the money in the interim?  I want something that I can get the rather quickly if I should lose my job but I would like to earn a decent interest rate (as good as possible in these times.)

Thank you

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: How much in taxes should I have taken out of inherited IRA?

If in doubt, get an accountant!

When I was in that position, I cashed out all the IRAs and CDs (less than half a million, so no tax) and invested - and I used my accountant to advise me

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 3
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: How much in taxes should I have taken out of inherited IRA?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently inherited an IRA.  I know that at a minimum they have to take 10% before they send to me.   How much should I have taken out prior to disbursement?  What I plan on doing with this money is saving it for now until the economy rebounds (sort of as an emergency fund) and then upgrading my home.   Also, what is the best way to invest the money in the interim?  I want something that I can get the rather quickly if I should lose my job but I would like to earn a decent interest rate (as good as possible in these times.)

Thank you

Unfortunately, so long as the Fed is keeping interest rates at record low levels in order to keep this anemic recovery going, the only way to get a decent return is by accepting some degree of risk. While many authors talk about this trade off, and emphasize the importance of knowing one's risk tolerance, in my opinion nobody does a better job of explaining how to think about financial risk better than Moshe A. Milevsky. Type that name into your favorite search engine or online bookstore.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.