Reply
Blogger
Posts: 3,360
Registered: ‎10-19-2012

How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

I'm trying to balance between the money to invest and the money to keep in a safe place, i.e, an insured deposit account. How much of your money is allocated to the latter? 1k, 10k, or more? I frankly have no idea what's a good or typical amount would be. Smiley Happy

Administrator
Posts: 1,093
Registered: ‎03-24-2010

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.


Scroll over cards for limits and APR's. Total credit available $44.8K, utilization 12%, FICO score 752 (rebuilt from low score of 540 in May, 2005) Entered the garden 11/5/2013; In the Garden until 02/2016



Frequent Contributor
Posts: 319
Registered: ‎03-25-2013

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

[ Edited ]

IMO it really depends on a lot of factors

 

- stability of income: profession, location, ability to get similar pay quickly, other sources of income (spouse?)

- number of folks to support

- flexibility of expenses, or how fast you could down size

- other?

 

Keep in mind with a ROTH IRA there is no penalty or taxes to pay for withdrawing your contributions any time.  So that can work as a dual account.

 

For me, I keep minimal in personal short term accounts because I hate car debt and recently went from 25 yrs left to 12 on the home.  So, CF is a bit tighter.  I may be too confident in my employment.

 

 

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,406
Registered: ‎01-17-2008

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?


KaLin wrote:

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.


This is what the military suggests also.  But apparently the ones that make this suggestion have never actually been in the military.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,424
Registered: ‎03-15-2012

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

LOL... I was about to say... Pretty damn cheap living on a cutter a few months a year. Smiley Very Happy

Blogger
Posts: 3,360
Registered: ‎10-19-2012

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?

[ Edited ]

oscar_actuary wrote:

IMO it really depends on a lot of factors

 

- stability of income: profession, location, ability to get similar pay quickly, other sources of income (spouse?)

- number of folks to support

- flexibility of expenses, or how fast you could down size

- other?

 

Keep in mind with a ROTH IRA there is no penalty or taxes to pay for withdrawing your contributions any time.  So that can work as a dual account.

 

For me, I keep minimal in personal short term accounts because I hate car debt and recently went from 25 yrs left to 12 on the home.  So, CF is a bit tighter.  I may be too confident in my employment.

 

 


Being an actuary will keep you employed for a while! Smiley Wink Say I have a stable job and only myself to support, am very flexible about expenses (don't have a car and can cook if necessary) and live in a rather high COL area. What do you say would be a good way to estimate cash reserve? Smiley Happy

 


KaLin wrote:

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.


 6 month's worth of income is about all I have right now ...

 


guiness56 wrote:

KaLin wrote:

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.


This is what the military suggests also.  But apparently the ones that make this suggestion have never actually been in the military.


 Huh?

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 319
Registered: ‎03-25-2013

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?


HiLine wrote:

Being an actuary will keep you employed for a while! Smiley Wink Say I have a stable job and only myself to support, am very flexible about expenses (don't have a car and can cook if necessary) and live in a rather high COL area. What do you say would be a good way to estimate cash reserve? Smiley Happy

 


 guiness56 wrote:
This is what the military suggests also.  But apparently the ones that make this suggestion have never actually been in the military.

 Huh?


probably referring to low pay for militray; thus difficult to save

 

For your situation, it depends.  How stable and how replaceable is the income.  At a min, I'd imagine 3 months of living lean..  Just a guess.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Highlighted
Epic Contributor
Posts: 22,406
Registered: ‎01-17-2008

Re: How much personal money do you keep as cash or equivalents?


HiLine wrote:

oscar_actuary wrote:

IMO it really depends on a lot of factors

 

- stability of income: profession, location, ability to get similar pay quickly, other sources of income (spouse?)

- number of folks to support

- flexibility of expenses, or how fast you could down size

- other?

 

Keep in mind with a ROTH IRA there is no penalty or taxes to pay for withdrawing your contributions any time.  So that can work as a dual account.

 

For me, I keep minimal in personal short term accounts because I hate car debt and recently went from 25 yrs left to 12 on the home.  So, CF is a bit tighter.  I may be too confident in my employment.

 

 


Being an actuary will keep you employed for a while! Smiley Wink Say I have a stable job and only myself to support, am very flexible about expenses (don't have a car and can cook if necessary) and live in a rather high COL area. What do you say would be a good way to estimate cash reserve? Smiley Happy

 


KaLin wrote:

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.


 6 month's worth of income is about all I have right now ...

 


guiness56 wrote:

KaLin wrote:

I've always gone on the premise that it's a good idea to have 6 months' worth of income in an account that's readily available if needed and to invest anything over that.


This is what the military suggests also.  But apparently the ones that make this suggestion have never actually been in the military.


 Huh?


This is what the financial advisors tell you.  Military members don't make as much as some suggest.  Our pay still falls short of the outside pay by a bit.  As a single parent with 2 kids it was impossible for me to save even near that much.  Even though you get money for housing, it was never intended to pay all rent and utilities, only a portion.  While you do get more for higher cost of living areas, the rent is also high.  And in lower cost of living areas you get a lot less.  If you live on base, you still pay in some areas.

 

 

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.