Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't sleep

tag
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: I can't sleep

Almonds make me sleepy and they also help me feel full so I won't pigout during dinnertime.

Top 10 Sleep-Inducing Foods
The following foods can make getting a good night's sleep a dream come true:
  1. Almonds: Almonds contain both tryptophan, an amino acid that acts as a sedative, and magnesium, which acts as a muscle relaxant.
  2. Bananas: Bananas contains melatonin and serotonin, chemicals known to help the body sleep, as well as magnesium.
  3. Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea's mild sedating effect has helped many restless people fall asleep.
  4. Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds are bursting with omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are natural mood lifters and can prepare your body and mind for sleep.
  5. Honey: Consuming too much sugar before bedtime can keep you awake. However, eating just a little glucose before hitting the sack alerts your brain to stop producing orexin, a neurotransmitter that keeps us alert. Add a little honey to your tea or milk prior to bedtime.
  6. Milk and Dairy Products: Milk and dairy products contain tryptophan and calcium, both of which help the brain effectively use tryptophan.
  7. Oatmeal: Oatmeal contains melatonin, which prepares your body for sleep. To up its effectiveness, make your oatmeal with milk and top it with a drizzle of honey.
  8. Potatoes: Eating a small baked potato or a small serving of mashed or roasted potatoes will clear your body of acids that can block the effects of tryptophan.
  9. Turkey: As many Thanksgiving diners know, turkey contains tryptophan. To get the most from the tryptophan in turkey, eat a slice of white turkey meat on a slice of whole-wheat bread in the middle of the evening.

Whole-Wheat Bread: Eating a slice of whole-wheat bread will trigger your body to release insulin, which can help deliver tryptophan to your brain. Once in your brain, the tryptophan is converted to serotonin.

http://www.sleep-deprivation.com/articles/sleep-disorder-treatments/foods-and-sleep.php

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.