Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

I hate Capital One, here's why!

[ Edited ]

Back Story:

I have always received 1 or 2 Capital One mailers, every time I check my mail. Which is a ridiculous amount of mail, but besides from being extremely annoyed... I have never done anything about it.

Now, I have recently been trying to learn more about my credit. So I did a http://annualcreditreport.com report, and noticed something very interesting on my Experian Credit Report. Seems like Capital One has been running Soft Checks every few days to get my address!! How is this behavior not classified as harassment or abuse of the system?

After doing more research I have found a website that will stop this. (http://optoutprescreen.com). But I don’t want to opt out from all pre credit prescreens, just from Capital One’s abusive ones. Is there anyone to single out a Capital One from doing anymore soft checks? I understand they don't hurt my credit, but I just don't want them to send me anymore mail. 

HERE IS A SCREENSHOT OF THE CREDIT REPORT: http://i.imgur.com/L3ko0pw.png

Please make sure to look at the image in the link above, before responding, so you can understand what I am refering to!

Established Contributor

Re: I hate Capital One, here's why!

That happened to me for much of this past year. I can't go for any card that does 3 HPs. And I'm not interested in any of their cards, including the Venture card. 

The funny thing is if I try their prequalify, NOTHING comes up. Just ignore Cap1. 

FICO 8 Scores: TU: 826, EX: 811, EQ: 786
FICO 8 Score Goal: 800+ across the board by 12/31/15
My UTIL: less than 1%
2016 Goal: 850 or close on at least two CRA!!!
Regular Contributor

Maybe, try asking Capital One to stop sending offers. Take a look at number 15 on the list of FAQs.

http://www.capitalone.com/identity-protection/privacy/faq/

It also tells you the time frame. Smiley Happy

I am not a Capital One customer, would I still be able to call them and have them opt me out?

Regular Contributor

arianf wrote:

I am not a Capital One customer, would I still be able to call them and have them opt me out?

Neither am I. It has been many years since I called. If I remember, there was a number included in the offer. I don't remember how that number was labeled. Called the number, provided my name and address and that was it. Smiley Happy

It did take about a month for all offers from Capital One to stop.
Community Leader
Epic Contributor

You cannot make a selective opt-out under FCRA 604(c) of only one creditor.

If a creditor requests a lisitng, the CRA is not going to generate a listing and then review each one to remove your name.

Perhaps your state statutes provide such ability, but not the FCRA.

Frequent Contributor

Call them and ask to be taken off their solicitation list.

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current Scores: Will post in the next 30-60 days.
Regular Contributor

RobertEG wrote:

You cannot make a selective opt-out under FCRA 604(c) of only one creditor.

If a creditor requests a lisitng, the CRA is not going to generate a listing and then review each one to remove your name.

Perhaps your state statutes provide such ability, but not the FCRA.

I am not sure what FCRA has to do with OP's intention; do not want to use official opt out mechanism, just want Capital One to stop soliciting. Capital One, like may other financial institutions, provides consumers a mechanism to utilize if they don't want to receive offers of credit.

List of people provided by CRAs to a company matching pre-selected criteria does not mean that everyone on the list will get an offer. Almost all financial institution will filter the list based on their own, internal or other external, pieces of information and data before generating an offer. One of these filters maybe an explicit intent to not receive such offers by a consumer. Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor

The number of soft pulls seems extraordinarily frequent. But has zero affect on your scores, and shouldn't split your credit file (used to be a common issue, but rare these days). For whatever reason Capital One really wants your business. Check out their pre-approval site to see what cards you're pre-approved for at http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/   Who knows, you might get a really good deal...

I realize that's not the answer you're seeking, but from a strictly business standpoint, it may be worthwhile. Capital One has some good cards, generous credit limits that grow rapidly, and decent service. Even if you rarely use the card(s), the additional credit line(s) will help your credit utilization (under 10% is ideal) allowing you to borrow more with minimal impact to your credit scores.

With all that said, contacting the Capital One Executive Office may get results - someone here (I don't have it) can likely PM you the EO contact details.

Starting Score Mar-15: EX-513, TU-507, EQ-510
Current Score Oct-15: EX-658, TU-631, EQ-628
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Why do you care about soft pulls?

Visa Siggy $30,000 ....... World MC $25,500 ....... Visa Siggy $23,750...........$3,300 ............. $1,800 ........... $17,000 ........... $6,000

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.