cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just thought of this again. My identity theif. Wonder if they still hold my info.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just thought of this again. My identity theif. Wonder if they still hold my info.

It's been about 1 year now since the person stealing my mail had access to my stuff.

They got all 3 CRA CRs.
Bank statements,
debit and credit cards, one of which went on a shopping spree.

I know from their activities they were hunting mostly for my debit cards and pin numbers. I reported it to the post office and I am sure the thief heard about it because they stopped after it was investigated... for a while then they started stealing my mail again, I reported it again, but this time I had enough and changed my mailing address.

So this person(s) probably just 1 person has everything financially about me. They were doing it for quite some time before I caught it. Wonder if they still have my stuff. When they got my 3 credit reports that bugged me the most. Just wonder if I still need to worry... I mean there are lots of people all over that sees our credit card numbers and social on apps and stuff, pull our credit files for PP or AR. Do you think the risk is still there from last year?

Playing FICO I look at my credit all the time, so no chance anything crazy could happen. I just worry one day they will walk in to a bank showing my ID and empty cash from my bank accounts. But I don't know that sounds too much like the movies. Haven't heard of any thief actually doing that? Kinda creepy though. Usually it's with debit cards.

All our personal info is not safe. I thought of how many hands touch my sensitive credit information all the time and think anybody could be my ID thief next so does this mail theft make it more dangerous?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: I just thought of this again. My identity theif. Wonder if they still hold my info.

Sounds like the mailman may be responsible. When I was in college down in Orlando I got a notice saying my mail had been being stolen for quite some time. I think I may have been lucky with the fact that I had awful, horrible credit then, which probably ensured that if they did apply for something in my name they would be denied.

I got a notice a while later inviting me to the trial. That person was put in jail for a long time.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I just thought of this again. My identity theif. Wonder if they still hold my info.

I have access to the SSN of every single patient whose record I work, plus many others who pop up on various print-outs. This is true at many other hospitals as well.

There is a movement toward having only unique medical record numbers, plus last four of the SSN, but for now, at many healthcare facilities, it's all there.

I remember a TV report about a leukemia pt in Washington state, I think it was, whose identity was stolen. So on top of going through chemo and general recovery, he had to fight all the creditors who were after him, the CRA's, police who weren't terribly helpful at first, and so on. They finally caught the thief, who worked in the hospital lab, I think.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 13
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Good thing you're one of the good guys, Hauling Smiley Wink
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

LOL --thanks!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

gals!Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 13
cantretire
Contributor

Didn't you move all your accounts to new banks?  It's not a guarantee of course, but would throw them off.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took care of most of the account numbers so they won't be using credit. Bank account is all that is left to do. Do you think after all this time I still need to change my bank account number?

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 08-12-2008 06:37 PM
Message 8 of 13
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I have access to the SSN of every single patient whose record I work, plus many others who pop up on various print-outs. This is true at many other hospitals as well.

And doctor's offices. I have the same access, as well as birth dates, addresses, and oftentimes the same info for spouses, and I make sure to shred everything with everyone's personal info on it.

We've had quite a few new patients who don't want to give their SSN out, which I completely understand. Unfortunately, a number of insurance companies still require it for everything from eligibility to claims processing.

And I thought unique ID numbers were supposed to replace SSNs as identifiers on insurance cards? It's surprising how many I receive that still list the SSN as the ID number.
Message 9 of 13
dizzier
Established Contributor

i think medicare (or is it bcbs?) just adds a "9" or "a" to the end of the ssn to make the id. lol

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.