cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just turned 34 years old and have decided to go back to school to get an Accounting degree.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just turned 34 years old and have decided to go back to school to get an Accounting degree.

I just turned 34. I don't feel old. I feel young and vibrant! I have decided to go back to school in February to finish up my Accounting degree. Back in 2004 I finished my Pharmacy Technician certification then soon after became a full-time mom. I have no regrets using my time to get that certification. It taught me a lot of discipline. Learning Pharmacology is no easy task. Twelve years later, I have decided to go for Accounting. Why accounting? Well, I did go back to school part-time in 2008 to take 4 accounting classes just to see how I would like it and got great grades. It came easy to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt like I was born for this. I am excited but at the same time nervous! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just turned 34 years old and have decided to go back to school to get an Accounting degree.

Best of luck. I give you credit for having the courage to do this.

Message 2 of 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: I just turned 34 years old and have decided to go back to school to get an Accounting degree.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just turned 34. I don't feel old. I feel young and vibrant! I have decided to go back to school in February to finish up my Accounting degree. Back in 2004 I finished my Pharmacy Technician certification then soon after became a full-time mom. I have no regrets using my time to get that certification. It taught me a lot of discipline. Learning Pharmacology is no easy task. Twelve years later, I have decided to go for Accounting. Why accounting? Well, I did go back to school part-time in 2008 to take 4 accounting classes just to see how I would like it and got great grades. It came easy to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt like I was born for this. I am excited but at the same time nervous! 

Great decision - pursuing a degree in an area you have a passion for. If the window of opportunity is there - no time like the present.to jump in.

A friend of mine went back to college at 54 to get a teaching degree after a career as an electrical engineer. He now teaches high school math and really enjoys going to work again.

Best Wishes

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 7
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Great, remember to get some related experience in the field when you are able to increase your employability chances.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your decision!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on making that decision!

It took me 12 years to get my degree in Business Admin by going during the evenings while working full time and supporting my family.  i could only take two classes at a time and I had to miss some semesters because of external factors.

You have probably already considered this, but there is always a need for accountants. They need internal accountants, accountants to audit the internal ones, and then there are always the auditors from the Government.

Stick with it and you will be glad you did.

GL

Message 6 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.