Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know this isn't WebMD, but.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I know this isn't WebMD, but.....

The spouse broke her little pinky toe once and never went to the doctor.

It swelled but as the swelling started going down, the bruising started. Half the foot was black and blue.

Took a few weeks to heal but no long term problems as of now. This was about a year ago.

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys! Pain isn't bad at all. Could be worse, I guess. Swelling has picked up a little, but it is one of the busiest days of the month at the office today.

@Scamp wrote:

llecs, do they have any walk-in clinics, either stand-alone 'urgent care' kinds of places or something like some of the drug stores' in-store clinics for non-emergencies, near you?  I've never used the latter, but my SIL did when one of her kids had a cold or something, and I too often seem to end up at the local walk-in urgent care clinic when I really need to see someone same-day and my doc can't squeeze me in.

The urgent care clinics can still be a bit of a wait (I think I sat for an hour or 2, last time I went after a head-on collision with another cyclist that wrenched/bruised my shoulder something wicked), but they're not as bad that way as ER's nor as expensive, and often they can dispense drugs on-site for you.

Other than the doctor (who really can't do much without an x-ray) and the hospital, the only other option are urgent care centers. There's a few, but the wait is long. A little OT, but I don't trust them. I had appendicitis, and two different urgent care centers diagnosed my symptoms as resulting from a bad cold or flu. Since then, I've stayed away.

I can beat that one....took dd#2 to ER on a Sunday because was not acting right and they told me she had a allergy to her baby formula and thrush and to take her to the wellbaby checkup on thursday....on Tuesday she was on a helicopter to the Childrens Hospital in heart failure with a Diagnoses of 7 heart defects. Needless to say I don't go to ER's if I can help it.

Message 12 of 33
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

wildcat wrote:

I can beat that one....took dd#2 to ER on a Sunday because was not acting right and they told me she had a allergy to her baby formula and thrush and to take her to the wellbaby checkup on thursday....on Tuesday she was on a helicopter to the Childrens Hospital in heart failure with a Diagnoses of 7 heart defects. Needless to say I don't go to ER's if I can help it.

Oh my!! Is she OK? We wish you all the best.

Message 13 of 33
Scamp
Valued Contributor

wildcat wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Thanks for the tips guys! Pain isn't bad at all. Could be worse, I guess. Swelling has picked up a little, but it is one of the busiest days of the month at the office today.

@Scamp wrote:

llecs, do they have any walk-in clinics, either stand-alone 'urgent care' kinds of places or something like some of the drug stores' in-store clinics for non-emergencies, near you?  I've never used the latter, but my SIL did when one of her kids had a cold or something, and I too often seem to end up at the local walk-in urgent care clinic when I really need to see someone same-day and my doc can't squeeze me in.

The urgent care clinics can still be a bit of a wait (I think I sat for an hour or 2, last time I went after a head-on collision with another cyclist that wrenched/bruised my shoulder something wicked), but they're not as bad that way as ER's nor as expensive, and often they can dispense drugs on-site for you.

Other than the doctor (who really can't do much without an x-ray) and the hospital, the only other option are urgent care centers. There's a few, but the wait is long. A little OT, but I don't trust them. I had appendicitis, and two different urgent care centers diagnosed my symptoms as resulting from a bad cold or flu. Since then, I've stayed away.

My version of this one was going to my family doctor years ago with some very bad bug or other, only to find him out of the office and his newly-graduated son on duty.  Dr. Jr. told me I had 'chest flu', sent me home.

2 days later, I was worse, called Dr. Sr. and told him; he sent me to the ER for chest X-rays.  I ended up being admitted that same day with advanced double viral pneumonia.  I was in the hospital for a week and durned near died.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh my!! Is she OK? We wish you all the best.

She is doing great....this was years ago and she ended up having two open heart surgeries within 2 weeks of each other (complications). Something like that will sure make you grow up and look at the world different. Needless to say whenever I take one of the kids to the doctor for anything it throws me into a secret panic! LOL!

Message Edited by wildcat on 01-02-2009 08:51 AM
Message 15 of 33
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

wildcat wrote:

She is doing great....

Best news I've heard all day.

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there's no obvious deformity, little swelling, your toenail pinks back up (quickly) when pressed, the pain is bearable, you're able to walk well with very little to no assistance, and the pain and potential fracture is NOT near one of the joints, then buddy taping and comfortable shoes will do the trick to protect it while it heals.

If you have pain at the joint, go to a podiatrist or a foot and ankle surgeon. Toes are little, but they can be the source of a great amount of pain if you develop any of the arthritic conditions that can follow a fracture that interrupts or even comes too close to a joint. That's not something you can treat at home.

Message 17 of 33
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the tips everyone....

As an update, it looks like someone used a blue, purple and black marker on the top 1/2 of my toe. The foot is swollen, but only a little, maybe due to hobbling funny. If I think about it, it can hurt, so I don't think about it. Surprisingly, there is little discomfort.

Again, the toe is straight, but I can't move it without baing in pain. I had to walk around today, but kept it propped up most of the time with ice on it. The toe itself is pretty swollen.

I was thinking that I fractured something, but the lack of pain has me rethinking that.

Message 18 of 33
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

I've broken both of my little pinkie toes. ( not a very graceful person) Other than taping them there's not much they'll do for you. I will say that it hurts like heck.
Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

MsKiwi wrote:
I've broken both of my little pinkie toes. ( not a very graceful person) Other than taping them there's not much they'll do for you. I will say that it hurts like heck.

The spouse said it was very painful.

One of the kids had left a bookbag in the hall and it was dark(because I hadn't replaced the hall light after it burned out), she caught the nylon strap with her little toe and when she went to take her step, the strap yanked her toe instead of giving because her other foot was on the bookbag.

Needless to say, the light got changed the next day.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.