Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love Comenity because.......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love Comenity because.......

I'm kidding with the title. I'm actually hoping someone from Comenity who visits these boards might read the post and see the things we all think are drawbacks of Comenity cards overall. I'd like to list them in one place if possible; hence, this thread.

Let's call it a community survey. Comenity likes surveys since they seem to send them via e-mail rather frequently.

Someone yesterday mentioned that they decided to close his or her own Comenity cards as an "anti-AA" kind of move. The person wasn't worried about AA, but it did feel good to them to embark upon a proactive action and remove dead weight.

I don't intend this to be a Comenity-bashing post, but rather an honest assessment of the limitations and drawbacks of Comenity cards. Maybe it will provide a good place for some new members to take a look at some of the downsides of such easily available cards, and help them make a more well-rounded decision.

Drawbacks:

1) Cannot change the payment date to one of your choosing

2) No security or account alerts are possible to set

3) Very high interest rates

4) Phone system makes it difficult to reach a person easily

5) Comenity. We take your cards away, then offer you new ones the very same day. Smiley Happy

6) Minimally useful rewards

Please feel free to chime in with some of the things you feel are drawbacks of Comenity cards overall. Once again, not a bashing post, let's try to keep it to an honest assessment. Thanks everyone. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Re: I love Comenity because.......

1. They rarely offer BTs on their cards
2. Pushing of account assure
3. The name Comenity. Lol
Message 2 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just closed Victoria's Secret about 10 minutes ago. $150 SL refuse CLI. Over it. I do have HSN which I really like and had a SL of $1000 now at $1250. I'll keep it as long as they don't close it. :-)
Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dislike that I can't set up an auto-pay to pay my statement balance (at least I haven't found that option). I like having the extra security of knowing that if even I somehow missed the payment, it's going to get made.

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I dislike that I can't set up an auto-pay to pay my statement balance (at least I haven't found that option). I like having the extra security of knowing that if even I somehow missed the payment, it's going to get made.

I have that ability on my Virgin America and Sportsman Guide accounts so maybe it's something they'll be adding to other cards (or they just do it for their Visa/MC accounts).  I agree though that it's a pain in the butt not having that function.  That and the inability to set up account alerts as humu listed are my two biggest complaints about them.

Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dislike that they completely disregard my questions through SM.

I dislike that they take pre-authorization charges EVERY time i use one of their cards. 
(I have 2, VS for fiance with $250 limit, Gamestop [i do like this card though, im a gamer] $1800 limit)

I dislike that they refused to accept a $900 payment on the gamestop card because of something not being in their Terms and Conditions.

I dislike that they argue with me about my identity on the phone.

However, these are personal reasons, everyone obviously has different stories with them

I dont really have a problem with comenity overall, but after seeing a few threads about AA and random closings, i refuse to open any other cards with them

I think id get my head torn off if i closed the VS cards, she loves that she gets free stuff and never pays full price.

Also, the points on my gamestop rewards card that i earn using the credit card get me free stuff so i wouldnt close it lol

Plus, its my second highest limit /shrug

Message 6 of 49
Ron1
Super Contributor

They don't have Credit Solution and online chat to ask for CLI.

Ron.
Message 7 of 49
someg33k
Established Contributor

I just closed 20k in credit lines with them today, plan on more next quarter.

#1. I do not trust them. They continue to prove they are not a professional organization that can be relied on.

On the flip side!

Gotta love them though as they help keep this forum full of crazy and interesting stories Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 49
Ron1
Super Contributor

Any credit issuer can close your account any time.

Ron.
Message 9 of 49
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:
They don't have Credit Solution and online chat to ask for CLI.

Ron.

+1

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.