Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help growing up...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some help growing up...

This could be embarrassing, but I have been working a "trade" for about 9 years. I made some mistakes in the past and I have a criminal background that will never allow me to become licensed in my field. With license, income potential could be unlimited. However, working for someone else, income is very limited to the tune of $42k. I am breaking into the 30's and want nothing more than to continue education. Life was a big party when I was younger and now I am really paying the price for it. I've kept my act together for 3 years now, but it takes more than just that to achieve things. By moving home, is there any financial aid I could recieve to allow for tuition and to help cover the costs of operating, such as gas insurance car note etc. My parents are extremely well off, I think that may disqaulify me for certain student aid. I would really appreciate any links that contain info on direction and steps to take in order to get the ball rolling on this. Im really at a loss here, I keep saying I want to go back to school but if nothing happens nothing happens. Im tired of sitting on my hands, but I dont know where to start. I really feel like I am stuck in a rut, and I will wake up one day at 50 years old doing what I have grown to hate. Every morning when the alarm goes off, I just want to cry. lol. Ok Im done. thanks for reading.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: I need some help growing up...

You won't need to use your parents' income because you're older, you can do this all on your own.

Sorry to hear about your past troubles, but you sound as if you're ready to move forward.

Message 2 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm just throwing this out here....do you have a counselor or minister you can work with?  They can really help you to get yourself together...although it sounds like you're doing a fine job; you may need a little tweaking.

Start with a full physical to make sure there's no depression.

The past is the past....move forward.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this something that you could pay a lawyer to have expunged? Something to look into, if it is a one-time baddie perhaps.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fish is correct, after a certain age and in certain situations you are "independent" which means only your income and assets are considered when you fill out your Free Application for Student Aid. Student loans are based on need.

If I remember correctly, you need to wait until Jan 1, to fill out for school year that goes from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010.

If you plan to start before that, you can fill one out.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm going thru student loan stuff right now myself.  if you're making $42k you won't get any aid, but you can get a loan.

actually my sis makes about $35k and she got zippo for aid

i'm currently paying for every single inch of my own education and to be perfectly honest, so should you.  you have no good reason to need public funds.  living life as a party really doesn't qualify.

keep working and go to school part time.  that's what i'm doing.  i'm trying to decide if i want to do a loan or just tighten the belt and pay the tuition over 4 months.  it's a tough decision because tuition isn't cheap.  either way, i make a fairly decent living and can take care of myself and i don't expect the gov't to make my car payment.  it's hard but my pride is worth it

good luck to ya!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will be fine for the student loan or grant however you go, you just simply do not include your parents income on the app it is very simple your not lying your just not putting all the fries in the basket.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second that you should look into having your record expunged/sealed. It might cost you a good chunk of change, but me, I'd consider it a wise investment in your future.

I never went crazy -- I was a good lil ol' Southern Girl -- but facts is facts: kids are stupid (I was, I know). Kids don't have a concept of "future" or "later." And that's why most states have mechanisms in place to protect their future from their childhood mistakes. Use it. That's what it's meant for!!

As for using public funds, I figure (contrary to another poster) that if you qualify, chances are, there's a damned good reason WHY you qualify. Try it (honestly and legally, of course). It's there for those who need it or can use it. That's what it's there for.

I've been paying taxes for nearly thirty years (if not a tad more) and I sure as hell don't mind people who are qualified for financial aid getting it. Again, that's what it's there for. Its far better for someone to use a little bit of money to get a better education than to end up ON welfare (or worse) 'cause they couldn't get an education.

Just my two pennies.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thought as well, as far as education goes.  If you start at a community college, many State Universities offer a scholarship with a certain GPA.  I recently got one from the University and it covers all of my Tuition.  It was not based on income but on academics.  I make too much money to qualify for aid.  It obviously wouldn't be the solution--yet, but it gives you something to work towards.

Good luck! 

Message 9 of 14
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I second that you should look into having your record expunged/sealed. It might cost you a good chunk of change, but me, I'd consider it a wise investment in your future.

I never went crazy -- I was a good lil ol' Southern Girl -- but facts is facts: kids are stupid (I was, I know). Kids don't have a concept of "future" or "later." And that's why most states have mechanisms in place to protect their future from their childhood mistakes. Use it. That's what it's meant for!!

As for using public funds, I figure (contrary to another poster) that if you qualify, chances are, there's a damned good reason WHY you qualify. Try it (honestly and legally, of course). It's there for those who need it or can use it. That's what it's there for.

I've been paying taxes for nearly thirty years (if not a tad more) and I sure as hell don't mind people who are qualified for financial aid getting it. Again, that's what it's there for. Its far better for someone to use a little bit of money to get a better education than to end up ON welfare (or worse) 'cause they couldn't get an education.

Just my two pennies.

I'll add my 2 cents and agree with you.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.