cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really wish cashiers would stop using the corner of my credit card as a touch screen stylus.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really wish cashiers would stop using the corner of my credit card as a touch screen stylus.

Ive had 2 cards ruined because cashiers take my card and then use the edge of it to make selections on the POS touch screen. Theres a Dunkin Doughnuts i used to frequent everyday, and the guy would do it all the time to my quick silver. After a while the edges started to flatten out and peel. I wasnt sure why then i seen him do it and i started to connect the dots! After months of this it ruins the cards. Now ive noticed a lot of cashiers doing this with my card. My previous debit card was all flat on the edges from cashiers doing this for years. Really annoying.

Went to a Checkers last night, handed the cashier my prestine discover it spruce card, fav design btw. And cringed as he vigourously tapped the edge of my card all over the screen. Smiley Mad

I cant wait for chip to become standard so i never have to hand over my card again. 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: I really wish cashiers would stop using the corner of my credit card as a touch screen stylus.

I've seen cashiers do this, and it honestly doesn't bother me that much. You can always request a new card be sent out if the old card gets too worn. Smiley Happy My cards all get scratched from swiping them so much way before the corners become damaged.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 26
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Re: I really wish cashiers would stop using the corner of my credit card as a touch screen stylus.

The QS may be the cheapest quality credit card that had ever existed. My DW recently PC'd and when the QS arrived, I thought it was fake. It would explain your card crumbling just because it had slight contact with another object.
Message 3 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@akula wrote:
The QS may be the cheapest quality credit card that had ever existed. My DW recently PC'd and when the QS arrived, I thought it was fake. It would explain your card crumbling just because it had slight contact with another object.

Curious how the new QS will look once they add the EMV chip, if they will actually make any changes in the look and QUALITY of what it is made of, it is very cheaply made

Message 4 of 26
aav
Established Contributor

I would speak up. "Ohh could you not do that with my pretty card, please?" Thank you thank you. Then smile. It would definitely bother me and probably has already happened but I haven't noticed. Though I'm quite observant. I'm fairly sure the clerks have no idea it would bother anyone and it's just a habit now.
EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 5 of 26
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems like wishing isn't working for you.  If it bothers you then try asking.  Doesn't really bother me as all cards wear anyway.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they did this with the Ritz card it would probably break their screen 😀

Message 7 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@aav wrote:
I would speak up. "Ohh could you not do that with my pretty card, please?" Thank you thank you. Then smile. It would definitely bother me and probably has already happened but I haven't noticed. Though I'm quite observant. I'm fairly sure the clerks have no idea it would bother anyone and it's just a habit now.

+1 for this, I doubt anyone is ruining your card intentionally! You can always just ask them to stop if it is bothering you, but it's just a credit card. You can get a replacement one mailed out if it wears out. It's not something I would waste my energy complaining about, but I guess it really bothers you!

Message 8 of 26
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

have you considered bumper case for credit cards? Smiley Very Happy

and if you are worried about scratches like csp, i'd recommend otterbox for credit cards!

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive had 2 cards ruined because cashiers take my card and then use the edge of it to make selections on the POS touch screen. Theres a Dunkin Doughnuts i used to frequent everyday, and the guy would do it all the time to my quick silver. After a while the edges started to flatten out and peel. I wasnt sure why then i seen him do it and i started to connect the dots! After months of this it ruins the cards. Now ive noticed a lot of cashiers doing this with my card. My previous debit card was all flat on the edges from cashiers doing this for years. Really annoying.

Went to a Checkers last night, handed the cashier my prestine discover it spruce card, fav design btw. And cringed as he vigourously tapped the edge of my card all over the screen. Smiley Mad

I cant wait for chip to become standard so i never have to hand over my card again. 

I just use Apple Pay and avoid ANYONE touching my precious cards. If they nick my card, I do the right thing to protect my personal items: I punch them in the face and wrestle them to the ground. Easy breezy. He'll never do that again! Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.