Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've stopped posting my scores

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I've stopped posting my scores

It seemed like I was doing it just to brag and that's a terrible reason. It's hard to explain. Don't get me wrong; I am proud of my hard work and the resulting scores but I don't want to flaunt it. I no longer have to tweak my scores to see what works best and that's a big relief. I'm afraid some will look at my scores and those of others with some measure of success and think they can never do it themselves which of course is not true.

I know the opposite of that is someone seeing a high score and getting inspiration and motivation to do the same.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

I'm just bored and rambling here I guess.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
DI
Super Contributor

Re: I've stopped posting my scores

I post my scores to show that I have knowledge and credibilty when answering posts.
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I vote you put those scores back up there!  I look at people's credentials when I read what they have to say.  Not that I discount low scores, but I like to see the journey people have gone through as evidenced by their scores.  I wish I would have kept track, beacause I started with like a 523.

Message 3 of 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I post my scores to show that I have knowledge and credibilty when answering posts.

I'm not sure about the knowledge part when it comes to me. Until last July when I registered here I had never heard of GW, PFD, CO, CA, FRCA, FDCPA, (add your own abbreviation here). All my negatives simply died because of old age. Smiley Happy But I do enjoy passing on things I've learned here and on other forums.

Message 4 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

marinevietvet wrote:   But I do enjoy passing on things I've learned here and on other forums.

That's the important part, and how you do it doesn't really matter, with or without posting scores.  But I do understand how you feel, and the only answer  that I can offer is that how someone else sees you is never in your control anyways, so why worry about it?  It's how you feel about what you're doing that counts, so if posting scores makes you uncomfortable, then don't do it.

Besides, I've never been impressed by scores anyways.  They are just numbers.  But I am always impressed by character and integrity; you've got both. So although your scores mean nothing to me, your words do, and they are highly valued. 

Keep flying the banner, Marine!  That's a brag to be proud of, for all of us.

Message 5 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

My 2 cents as a two-year poster: When I first started here I appreciated everyone posting their scores. I never saw it as bragging. In fact, others posting their scores told me, indirectly, that if they can do it, I can do it too. And having a starting point from the 500-FICO score range, every new 600 and 700-club member gave me hope. When others posted their scores, I also used that as a visual to guage a score change if this or that happened to them. And yes, there are the rare few who have the attitude that my 700 score is better than your 500 score, but those folks don't last too long in here anyway.
Message 6 of 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Ok you've convinced me. The scores go back up. Smiley Happy

7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 7 of 24
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I was up @5am writing a nice reply,and took toooo much time. being sleepy and spell check.......that when I hit post.....It went poof out into cyberspace Smiley Sad 

Will come back l8r and rewrite LOL

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 8 of 24
demi
Established Contributor

Bragger !!!!  (Just kidding)

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

It seemed like I was doing it just to brag and that's a terrible reason. It's hard to explain. Don't get me wrong; I am proud of my hard work and the resulting scores but I don't want to flaunt it. I no longer have to tweak my scores to see what works best and that's a big relief. I'm afraid some will look at my scores and those of others with some measure of success and think they can never do it themselves which of course is not true.

I know the opposite of that is someone seeing a high score and getting inspiration and motivation to do the same.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

I'm just bored and rambling here I guess.  Smiley Happy

I don't think it is necessarily to brag.  Maybe a little "hey I'm proud of my accomplishment" but it is also encouraging to others when you can show a history that "hey, I was in the toilet back then, now look where I am" so that others can garner the courage and faith that they can get back on top through hard work and time.

So, even if you are bragging, as long as you can show the progression (the time frame of low scores) and then the results (current high scores), then your bragging rights become inspirational information to others.

I post mine for the "see you can do it" reasons.  I went from BK and terrible scores to back on top.  It also helps people to see how much time they need to reasonably expect to have invested.  It can take years...and some people expect it to happen much faster.  If they can see the progression, over time, of score improvements and that time will be a necessary ingredient, then they have hope of better days (credit) to come, tempered by an understanding of the work and time involved.

Just IMO  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.