Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was attacked by Fire Ants!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I was attacked by Fire Ants!

Ahh the fire ants. I am well prepared for the little buggers these days and don't mess around. I take antihistamine daily to play it safe for nasty bugs and other allergies. Well I guess after a few days you learned that your probably not too allergic causing a systemic reaction (breathing, heart beat, chest pain, cramping, nausea, ect...) Local swelling is ok as long as it stays local. Blue color around the bite or on veins is a bad allergic reaction. Blue bad, red probably ok. Also if the bugger got you in fatty tissue rather then on a vein.

Well anyway they will swell/itch for a while. I found that after the first day (only after taking antihistamine) I will fill up a pot of very hot and very salty water. Dip a rag in the hot salty water (being at the beach does not count) and hold it to the area affected. I will do this for 10-15 minutes at a time repeating every 2-4 hours. Usually it goes away with in the first good day of hot salty water soaks. The water needs to be pretty hot (not burning hot but hot and hotter the better). If I don't use the hot "salty" water it will last 7 days longer on me. Usually after the first few soaks I will get little white bubbles coming up which was what the ant injected in to my skin. I would remain on antihistamine during all of this to be safe. Benedryl works great.

And it is always wise to seek medical advice from a MD before taking my advice since I am not a Doctor. Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I used to live in Florida as a kid and fell off my bike and into a mound. It hurts and its scary. I remember my parents made up several ice packs and used that after a fever came on. After a few hours, everything calmed down and I can't remember what they used, but it was the pink topical medicine, cortisone?

I just found the following for treatments:

• baking soda and water (thick paste)
  • bleach and water (half and half)
  • meat tenderizer and water (thick paste)
  • amonia
  • crushed aspirin (thick paste)
  • salt (thick paste)
  • Tea Tree oil (may also be good for other insect bites, such as, chiggers, fleas and mosquitoes)
  • aloe jell
  • Alternately apply for five minutes: cotton ball soaked in ammonia, followed by a cotton ball soaked in peroxide. Continue for 20 minutes.
  • dishwashing liquid
  • fresh piece of onion
  • Dishwashing liquid?

Message 12 of 17
    haulingthescoreup
    Moderator Emerita

@llecs wrote:
    I used to live in Florida as a kid and fell off my bike and into a mound. It hurts and its scary. I remember my parents made up several ice packs and used that after a fever came on. After a few hours, everything calmed down and I can't remember what they used, but it was the pink topical medicine, cortisone?

I'd guess that the pink stuff was Caladryl: calamine lotion + topical benadryl. They might have other formulations now with cortisone, etc.

When the kids were little, we used to go through a bottle a month, lol.
    * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 13 of 17
    fishbjc
    Senior Contributor

Since you're in Texas, grow a few touch me not plants.  When the stem is broken, there's a gel in there.  It works amazingly well on any type of skin infection such as poison ivy, spider bites, ant bites.

I realize it won't help you now, but in the future these are great plants to have around, plus they're gorgeous!

For now, I'd recommend sitting in a nice tub of cool water with a 12 pack at your side wearing a life vest.

Message 14 of 17
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Now, they have Caladryl Clear...no need to walk around looking all freaky anymore! Smiley Very Happy

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I'd guess that the pink stuff was Caladryl: calamine lotion + topical benadryl. They might have other formulations now with cortisone, etc.

When the kids were little, we used to go through a bottle a month, lol.

Message 15 of 17
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Thanks Again! I went out and bought myself some bleach, epsom salt, Aloe Vera and more Benadryl....I now have my own Fire Ant Kit.

Thank you! I knew I'd get help from the great people at MyFico!
    Message 16 of 17
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

I'm in Texas, I think the mosquitos are bigger here and the fire ants are everywhere.  What I use is asorbine, jr.  It takes the itch away and also (for the mosquito bites) they disappear, not the fire ants but it does make the itch go away.  For me anyway. I put it on immediately.  Good Luck Vicki
    Message 17 of 17
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.