Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will never understand people

tag
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: I will never understand people

@azguy13 wrote:

When I was approved for my first card at the age of 18, I looked at it like free money as well. Obviously that came back to bite me in the rear but it was a valluable learning experience. Luckily USAA took me back. 

I had great credit, scores in the high 700s until I went through a seperation in 2011. Huge setback and sometimes it takes drastic changes for people to realize the outcome to make improvement. Cap1 and Chase took me back and gave me a chance and once you hit the bottom, only way is up. It's never too late to start over...sounds cliche but the older you get the wiser you become Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignorance can't be helped Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Some people have to reach their own version of "rock bottom" before they'll understand...I was one of those people...and paid a hefty price for not heeding the lessons and advice of others.  But when you're young (at least I was) I thought I knew it all.  I had a similar mentality about credit cards.  It wasn't until I was starring a Ch. 13 in the face that I finally woke up from my stupidity.  Maybe once he reaches his verison of "rock bottom" he'll start to make a change...or maybe not.  Some folks are prone to repearing the same mistakes over and over and over again...

Message 13 of 16
nawhop
Valued Member

@Loquat wrote:

Some people have to reach their own very of "rock bottom" before they'll understand...I was one of those people...and paid a hefty price for not heeding the lessons and advice of others.  But when you're young (at least I was) I thought I knew it all.  I had a similar mentality about credit cards.  It wasn't until I was starring a Ch. 13 in the face that I finally woke up from my stupidity.  Maybe once he reaches his verison of "rock bottom" he'll start to make a change...or maybe not.  Some folks are prone to repearing the same mistakes over and over and over again...

Totally agree on the part that some people repeat the same mistake over and over again. Sadly, I know people in in their 70s and 80s and still didn't learn from their prior mistakes because they think their children will always be there to back them up. 

Starting score 03/01/2015 EQ 693 TU 705 EX 732
Goal Score FICO08 : the 800 clubs
Mortgage app HP 04/20/2015
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it sounds like a cop out but it's almost not his fault! I am the same age (ish) and I can honestly say that my upbringing had absolutely no education on credit.  We live in such a "I want it now" society and most don't think if the reprecussions.  I'm just now learning from my mistakes. I can promise you one thing, my child will not follow in my path. Credit responsibilty will follow right behind the "birds and the bees" in importance! 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The one thing I have learned in my life is that you can't change the thought mentality of family and friends.  All you can do is advice them like you did and hope they will heed your recommendations.  He is your family and the concern you have is warranted.  If I were you I would break it down for him further.  Take out a piece of paper and pen and educate him how maxing out his card and ONLY paying the minimum will take him over 20 years to pay off and damage his credit.  I am sure he wants a house or car in the futre and if he continues to take this path he will NOT be able to obtain these goals.  I am sure he will start to think about your excellent advice and hopefully do something about it.  We all love our family and do NOT want them to make mistakes that they can avoid.  Your advice and recommendations is about all you can do for now.  Show him how your plan allowed you to get much better CC's with huge CL's.  In the end I think he will listen to you.  Good Luck and as always enjoy what remains of your day.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.