cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 20 years I see fingerprint becoming more common.

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

In 20 years I see fingerprint becoming more common.

Thieves can steal your cards and ring up large purchases which you many not know about until a month later when they show up on the bill. 

I really would like to see fingerprint also know as biometrics, become more common.

Imagine going to a gas station, and swiping your finger, the clerk already knows your over 21 because it pops up on his screen, since you registered at the police station.

A window pops up on the terminal, allowing you to select your payment method, you select your visa card ending in 2834, and your done.

Once it becomes widespread, you won't even need a plastic card, you will just swipe your finger to pay everywhere.

Even at home, the fingeprint reader on your keyboard allows you to shop securely online. Even if someone steals your card, they can't buy jack because they can't verify your identity, due to the fact no two fingerprints are alike.

Expanding out further, everyone has their fingerprint recorded with the police at age 13. This would make it hard for a convicted criminal to buy stuff, because if they swipe, it will notify police and they can make an arrest.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: In 20 years I see fingerprint becoming more common.

As with everything, all you need is ONE thing to happen to defraud someone. For this, all they would need is a print of your finger, and then boom the world opens. We will always have these problems as long as there are greedy, low lives out there. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 10
Stralem
Established Contributor

Yeah... Except for the fact that even today fingerprints are relatively easy to get around.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 10
JKXX
New Contributor

This idea has pretty big political implications beyond just credit cards. Since politics aren't allowed here, all I'm going to say is I think it's a bad idea.

Last Inq: 10/24/14. EQ: 770 (10-02-13), TU08: 797 (10-27-14), EX: ??
Chase Ink $18,500 | REI Visa $17,000 | Chase Freedom $10,000 | Discover IT $10,000 | Sallie Mae $10,000 | Amex BCE $9,000 | BOA 123 $7,500 | US Bank Cash+ $7,000 | Wells Fargo Rewards $4,900 | Walmart Discover $6,500 | Chase Amazon $1,000
Message 4 of 10
blondy250
Established Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Thieves can steal your cards and ring up large purchases which you many not know about until a month later when they show up on the bill. 

I really would like to see fingerprint also know as biometrics, become more common.

Imagine going to a gas station, and swiping your finger, the clerk already knows your over 21 because it pops up on his screen, since you registered at the police station.

A window pops up on the terminal, allowing you to select your payment method, you select your visa card ending in 2834, and your done.

Once it becomes widespread, you won't even need a plastic card, you will just swipe your finger to pay everywhere.

Even at home, the fingeprint reader on your keyboard allows you to shop securely online. Even if someone steals your card, they can't buy jack because they can't verify your identity, due to the fact no two fingerprints are alike.

Expanding out further, everyone has their fingerprint recorded with the police at age 13. This would make it hard for a convicted criminal to buy stuff, because if they swipe, it will notify police and they can make an arrest.

You have some unique ideas to say the least.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 5 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@JKXX wrote:

This idea has pretty big political implications beyond just credit cards. Since politics aren't allowed here, all I'm going to say is I think it's a bad idea.

I was definitely thinking about the big brother of it all, but didn't want to go down that road.. LOL

Message 6 of 10
RnJ
Contributor

Good in theory but bad in practice.  It's purpose would only serve to delay thievery, but would open too many doors for dubious personal identifiable information.  Big B (or others with authority and power) already can find you whenever and however they wish, if personal identifiers from certain body parts ever come into reality, I hope it isn't in this lifetime Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I already use my fingerprint to clock in and out of work so I am sure in the future we will be using our finger prints for even more
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I use my fingerprints to skip the long lines at Immigration at airports  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 10
Boragard
Established Contributor

Sure, I can see finger prints being used more as a protection.  However, i also see more crime in the future if that were to happen.  Just look at movies like "Minority Report", or "Batman & Robin" Where thieves often kill the person or cut off their finger to gain access to their accounts.  However, those are worst cast scenarios.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.