Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a small pickle, need some advice

tag
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

In a small pickle, need some advice

My scores and cards are in my sig so if they help with a response please check them out =)

So in march of this year I had what I considered a family emergency that required me to take out a loan from a family member. It was to the tune of $6000, it was @ 0% until this december 2013(I think he had a balance transfer offer on his credit card and was kind enough to do this for me). The issue is now that we are already in october I have only managed to pay back $1500, bringing the total down to $4500. After taxes I bring home $2,500-3,000 a month, and with my other obligations like rent etc I am finding it hard to find any extra money to throw @ this debt. If it's not paid off by mid december it'll automaticlly accure 9 months worth of interest. I have a few ideas I'll list below, but what do you think I should do?

1. Get a loan to pay it off, (I have a personal loan out now with sprintleaf for $2500 @ 28%!)

2. Play around with my 0% APR on purchases to manufacture the money? (and leave pretty high almost maxed out balances for a few months?)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: In a small pickle, need some advice

R u a member of a credit union? Maybe join one and get a CC through them?

Can you afford to get another card that might possibly give you a higher limit that will also give you 0% for a certain number of months? Maybe citi simplicity?

GL! Wish I knew of a perfect solution to this. Maybe your bank that you bank with could give you a personal loan?
Message 2 of 5
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@KennyS2006 wrote:
R u a member of a credit union? Maybe join one and get a CC through them?

Can you afford to get another card that might possibly give you a higher limit that will also give you 0% for a certain number of months? Maybe citi simplicity?

GL! Wish I knew of a perfect solution to this. Maybe your bank that you bank with could give you a personal loan?

I'm a member of SFFCU, they seem nice but they are EX only (which is my worst score),

I'm sure I can get approved for 0% BT cards but dont know if I will get a high enough limit (even so if I do they will have to send me a BT check)

I bank with Chase but I havent even looked into their personal loans yet. 

Thanks for the help though! That's some good ideas.

Message 3 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The Slate might work for you. You can have the BT sent directly to your relatives cc, so checks wouldn't be needed.
Message 4 of 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I think Slate and another Card may be the way to go for this (if you don't get the CL you want when you apply for the one.)

Yes, you may be having some heavy utility but if it's important to pay the family member back to you, then that's ok -- and you will eventually pay it off and the scores will rebound.

The good news is that you are educated with regards to your finances so you know to not max out your cards to pay back this loan --- and you are putting the wheels in motion early enough so that you can pay this person before December! Says a lot about your word, to me.

Good luck and please update us on that path you decide to take! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.