Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance???

tag
Tg123
Regular Contributor

Insurance???

Any help on getting better insurance rates than geico? have about 4 cars to insure. 2 are fully payed off

Forward, Zync, Freedom, BofA Cash Rewards

Current Score: 738 BOA Experian (5/29/2012)

GOAL: 800s
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Insurance???

I got some pretty good rates at USAA if you can get it. I heard that they will start to push up your rates though if you don't watch it; however, I suspect everyone else does also.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my case USAA was only $20 a year cheaper than GEICO.  Meanwhile GEICO was almost half as much as the next closest quote I got.  I pay $660 a year for a $42k truck, in my 40s with no tickets.  Also single with no other drivers. 

Message 3 of 6
Tg123
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my case USAA was only $20 a year cheaper than GEICO.  Meanwhile GEICO was almost half as much as the next closest quote I got.  I pay $660 a year for a $42k truck, in my 40s with no tickets.  Also single with no other drivers. 

Thanks for the input. I'm just a little confused. You say that they were only $20 cheaper a year, but GEICO was half as much as the next closest quote. 

Forward, Zync, Freedom, BofA Cash Rewards

Current Score: 738 BOA Experian (5/29/2012)

GOAL: 800s
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased the truck in feb 2010 and GEICO was my present insurance and the rate they gave me was $660.  I shopped around (forgot about USAA options back then, had not had them since the early 90s) and all the quotes I got were over 1k a year.  When people here reminded me of USAA I joined and ran a quote through them and it was in the 640s.  I just stuck with GEICO, they have been good to me so far.  Now I am part of a special plan with GEICO as a government employee, so that could have something to do with my rate?

I have read all these extra discounts that you can get through USAA (kid being on honor roll, if they are driver and such...), so they maybe the cheaper option for you if you are a vet.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My theory is that the longer you are with an insurance company, the more your rates creep up... My last insurance company seemed to up my rate at a 5-10% clip annually... I'd call and they'd "find a new discount," but the net result was the same. 10 years of history = I was being naive in thinking the relationship would matter.

As much as it scars the soul, shopping three or four companies every time is probably the best way to keep your insurance costs down.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.